CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Suspension Problem?

CadiKing

I posted this question a couple of days ago, but received no responses..

If I have broken protocol, please advise.

I have owned many FWD cars, but never experienced this sensation.

'99 STS with 45,k miles. I have a two fold question.

When turning right at low speed, I get a slight 'tug' in the steering wheel. I do not notice it on left turns. It feels like a four wheel drive truck in low-lock on dry pavement, however, very slight. (As if it is crabcrawling.)

Secondly, when I hit uneven pavement or low speed bumps, I feel a slight wobble in the steering wheel, and maybe a knock, as if something is loose in the suspension.

Is this slight tug on the steering where while cornering at slow speeds normal?

Where do I begin to track down the loose parts?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you...

I would say definitely not normal. You should pursue that problem vigorously. Jack it up and check tires for bumps, wheel bearings for looseness etc. My 01 had a slight wander when I bought it last year that turned out to be a loose tie rod end. At 45K miles your Cadi should be solid and precise.

Ol Albert is right. I have been chaseing the same sort of problem for over a year. I got the car with only 30,000k on her and she came with the wobble, rattle, tug and knock. So far the dealer has replaced tie rod ends, (this one helped a lot with the wobble and tug), I think one tranny mount and one engine mount, (helped with clunk but still there), front wheel bearing and hub assembly drivers side, (maybe helped with rattle, clunk a wee bit), upper front strut mounts and bearings, (this one did dick) and the next replacement should be the intermidiate steering shaft. (the mechanic figured it was either the strut mounts or shaft on last visit and went with the strut mounts). If that doesn't do it, stab bar bushings stab link bushings. (I think thats what their called) After all this is done, I am going to get new tires. Many old posts about how proper tires make a big differance.

Don't give up. When shes done, you can really start to enjoy your car.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

My 97Concours used to make a jerking grinding noise and you could feel it thru the steering wheel. It only did it at very slow speeds, like turning into a parking space. The dealer said they'd had problems with alot of bad racks....he replaced it and the problem was fixed. I noticed a while back my mom's 95Concours is now doing the same thing. Might have them check out your rack.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

My 97Concours used to make a jerking grinding noise and you could feel it thru the steering wheel. It only did it at very slow speeds, like turning into a parking space. The dealer said they'd had problems with alot of bad racks....he replaced it and the problem was fixed.

That's the exact problem I have with the front suspension of mine (well, ONE of the problems). I'm not really impressed with the front suspension. Seems that fixing bushings and racks is commonplace. I've gotta do the strut mounts for the second time on the car, the stab. bar bushings and links have all been replaced, but I think they need doing again, because it pops and thunks first thing in the morning, and I have the grinding rack problem when turning slowly.

I love the rest of the car, but the front suspension seems...shall I say...fragile?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived