CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AAAAAA My Muffler!!!

caddy_man2132

Hey there I was driving my car on the highway and was messing around and doing WOT's! I then noticed that my muffler was increadibly load and sounded very deap! It gave me a very big headache! :angry: SO anyways I went home and looked under the car and there was a big split in it the size of a grapefruit!!!! What my question to you is how much does it normally coast you guys to get a 40 dollar muffler installed??? I will just have to pay for the clamps and the welding what is the average price that this will run me?

Thanks

Jason

Also my car has been sitting for six months and I started driving it today for like 6 hours this doesn't have any effect on the car will it? It was in a heated garage and I started driving it today and went on a 6 hour drive with some WOT's here and there to clear the carbon in the engine will this hurt the car? Thanks guys!

Well,

I have not had to change a muffler, but you also wanted to know about damage.

1. Damage to you. If you got a headache, part of the cause could be from CO fumes seeping in. These can kill over time (a long drive) and are particularly dangerous in slow traffic. A close friend's father in-law died from a leaky exhaust this way driving his camper.

2. Damage to the car. I don't think there can be too much damage unless the exhaust manifold is disconnected at the engine itself. In that case, cold air might warp the exhaust valves. This would be very very loud and usually only a concern with rebuilds etc.

I suggest you search (over 30-days) on mufflers etc. I think there were numerous posts about mufflers as well as complete systems - including prices.

;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

No not damage caused by the muffler I meant damage due to the fact that the car was sitting for 6 months and then today I just start it up pull out and drive for 6 hours only stopping a few times and doing a few WOT's! I know that further damage could happen with the muffler that happened at the end of the trip and im takeing the car in tommorow at 8 ocklock!

Jason

I think the successful 6 hour drive pretty much answered your question. Other then the possibility of rotting hoses and belts and maybe even a little moisture in the gas tank if it was low during storage you should be ok. My old 90 Bonn SSE would sit for long stretches outside before I would periodically start her up and take it for a spin. I usually had to add air to the tires but that was about all.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived