CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine Vibration

Marika

These past weeks have been cold and the engine has been running great.

On Saturday, we had a warmer day and for some reason, the engine would vibrate during idle but run fine otherwise. The weather is cold again, the engine is idling fine again.

What was it about the warmer day that made the engine vibrate during idle. Is there anything I need to check on and repair/replace?

No codes were set.

Thanks

P.S. I have the 4.9L engine.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Was it humid? Perhaps time to check distributor cap for corrosion and gound connections for the ignition system? Otherwise it could be a slight vacuum leak. But if its intermittant I would suspect the ignition system. Had the same problem with my Eldorado with the 4.5 liter engine, it turned out to be a corroded distributor cap.

Intermittant fault and only in idle sounds like ignition though.

It was not humid that day. But even if it were, doesn't the engine heat eventually get rid of the humidity trapped inside the cap and thus the symptoms would stop?

The symptoms stopped when the temperature dropped.

Let's see what happens today and the rest of the week.

I'll report back.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Check plugs/wires etc, still believe that you should check the ignition system first before you suspect something else, it´s the thing that usually causes bad/poor idle quality.

I remember that I changed plugs and wires on my Eldorado, they are a lot cheaper than the ones for the Nortstar enginge. Check the distributor cap for cracks, burns, corroded terminals etc and the center electrode.

After I changed the plugs, cap and wires I had no more trouble with the sometimes rough idle.

You can check the resistance on the plug wires with an ohm meter. The should all be quite equal in resistance value.

I had the highest resistance on the shortest one...that made me change them....

Good luck

Archived