CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'96 SLS IPC override weirdness

The_Raven

Howyadoin,

Decided to do the IPC overrides for coolant temp and digital mph, and get rid of the "PRESS BRAKE TO SHIFT" message. Got the Option E set fine for the temp and MPH, but things were strange on the Option C mod for the BTSI suppression.

The Option C value was 32 if I remember right. I added the 4 to eliminate the BTSI, then started wondering why the original value wasn't 160 (32 for DRL installed plus 128 for "RSS installed"). I saved my changes, and the PRESS BRAKE TO SHIFT nonsense seems to be gone.

Is it safe to assume that RSS was standard on the '96 SLS? I looked at the struts and they have the connector, and they seem to ride OK, if a bit wallowy. I hope the previous owner didn't have the override changed to supress "Service Ride Control" messages. If so, I'm gonna have to play "Beat the Geek" :)

Is suppressing SRC messages as easy as an IPC override on the '96 SLS? If I enable the 128 bit, to see if I get an SRC message, could there be a negative impact?

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Yes, the SLS has the CV-RSS. And no, I understand that even if you set the override option to "deinstall" the RSS option, you still get Service Ride Control messages on the message panel.

BTW, an easier way to get rid of the BTSI message is to hold the A/C and COLDER buttons for 5 seconds. That toggles the message on and off. No need to go into the IPC overrides.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived