CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 DeVille door alignment...

98bluecaddy

I have a 98' DeVille Elegance - nice car with 23K miles. The only problem I have is that the driver's door is alittle out of alignment - it doesn't shut properly. You have to lift up alittle to get a good closure. The door is out of alignment - probably sagging just enough to cause a problem - all other doors are perfect. Is there a step by step available that shows how to adjust the door at the hinges or does the adjustment come from the hinges..? I don't want to make things worse so it would be good to see a picture of the precedure. Any ideas ..? Has anyone made this adjustment before..? Thanks.....

Is the door actually sagging? Unusual for a car with only 23K. If the door is sagging that is usually caused by a worn hinge. Do you see slop in the hinge pin when you lift on it? If not, and it is only a latching problem, then adjust the striker on the door jam.

If I could modify Ranger's statement: It would be unusual for a 98 w/23k and a sagging door not to be the result of collision damage.

I mean, it's obvious that you just got it; otherwise, you would have had it fixed long ago while the car was under warranty. Also, the pervious owner would have had it fixed under warranty because based on mileage, not the age, the car would be under warranty.

If I could look at the car, I could tell instantly whether or not it is collision related or alignment related. I've been around too long to know better than to make blanket statements. I'm sorry to say that on this one, if I had to place a money bet, I'd put my money on collision damage.

Is there any way you can post pictures? The thing is that if it's collision related, there isn't anything you can do because whatever was damaged wasn't repaired correctly. Even so, if you could post some pictures, you could get a more definate answer. After all, I know better than to make blanket statemnts.

I'll check the stricker on the door - that could be the problem. With just 23K on the car the door should not be sagging.

On an01sts's concerns about collison damge and repairs not complete properly - I would think the same thing except I'm in the family of the previous ( original owner ) of the car. It hasn't been wrecked but that would be a concern if I had not known the car for the last 6 yrs.

I haven't looked into the door re-alignment except recently because I was wanting some opinions on the cause before I started to loosen bolts. Thanks for the good ideas. I guess the striker is a pretty straight forward adjustment - no hidden bolts to fall in the door. Thanks.

Archived