CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

cat converter

GOOB

Well, I went thru this with my old 91 seville that's why it sounds so familiar. Should I go with OEM or will Midas or one of the guys work? I went with Midas with my 91 and although the size was a little smaller, there were no noticeable differences

The OEM cat is very expensive. I replaced my cat a few months ago with an after market one because I failed the emission test and it was also rattling. The last time I checked the prices the OEM cat was 3 to 4 times the price of an after market cat. I think there is not much difference between the two and both work fine.

What are symptoms of a bad cat (other than rattling)? Can a cat be bad and not rattle?

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

What are symptoms of a bad cat (other than rattling)? Can a cat be bad and not rattle?

without doing some type of emissions check, i guess there isn't any other way to tell until the honeycomb breaks apart causing that annoying rattle.

Symptoms, well let me say this, the state inspection before my CAT self destructed I just bearly passed the emissions... Where as the year before I was way under the allowable, so I think the CAT begins to lose its scrubbing ability before it blows, when I looked inside my old one I was unable to see anything, but it sounded like a bunch of bolts in a can when I shook it...

Archived