CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

High charging voltage

maydog

Hello,

The Mrs. aurora (96) was yelling at her the other day. I scanned the codes and found none, but the charging system monitor displayed 17 volts. It has always had the voltage on the upper end of the range but 17 is a bit to high. I double checked at the battery with a multimeter, sure enough 17+ volts.

I went ahead an removed the alternator (the removal / install was a bigger pain in the rear than my 97 sts), I had it tested at a parts store where it failed. I should have paid more attention to the nature of the fail, but instead just bought a new one.

I spent most of the night installing the new unit, as soon as i started the car back up the voltage jumped to 17? What the hay - what elese could be the culprit? The battery is at 12.2 without the car running and it has no trouble cranking. I am reading about a battery thermistor and other stuff on alldata - any ideas?

Thanks,

Maydog

I just shorted out the battery thermistor and the voltage stays low around 12.0 volts. If this is indeed the problem I may just hardwire an appropriate resistor for the winter. I cannot seem to find the part number for this thermistor anywhere?

I have a small favor to ask someone out there. I need to get a resistance reading of the battery thermistor at around ambient temperatures. Digikey carries several thermistors but the resistance ranges vary greatly.

Also, I think that the thermistor does not have its own part number since it is integrated within the positive battery cable - the cheapest I can find is $110. I should be able to acquire a thermistor and hack it into the cable for $5.

Much thanks.

I have a small favor to ask someone out there. I need to get a resistance reading of the battery thermistor at around ambient temperatures. Digikey carries several thermistors but the resistance ranges vary greatly.

Also, I think that the thermistor does not have its own part number since it is integrated within the positive battery cable - the cheapest I can find is $110. I should be able to acquire a thermistor and hack it into the cable for $5.

Much thanks.

1998 Seville (battery under the rear seat): using a decent Fluke DVOM, I measure 1.7K ohms at 47 degrees.

Good luck......

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks for the info,

I was able to drive the car today buy using a 1.1K fixed resistance. At that value the battery hangs around 13.8 volts. I will acquire a thermistor and post up a small how-to on my website.

I am really surprised that such a simple thing led me to replace my alt.

Well, I got the parts. Before I went on to bastardizing the thermisor on the battery I double checked its operation. (by the way, it is a separate unit and I have not been able to find its part number) It was at 6.5 K at 0 degrees f - which is a normal value. I plugged it back in and now everything seems to work ok. The connection must have opened up due to the cold and maybe a little corrosion. I bent the terminals a little and plugged it in.

So I spent about $215 on a repair that required only unplugging a sensor and then plugging it back in.

darn

Archived