CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

SUSPENSION

eldo nick

On the '97 Eldorado, it was the dampers (struts/shocks), rear stabilizer bar size, and steering ratio. This, assuming the ETC has the "sport" suspension and the Eldorado has the "soft ride" suspension. I would guess that this information also pertains to '99 models, but I don't know for sure.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Maybe a dealer can tell you. Fact is, in '99 they had the ETC, which should be the only sport ride suspension out there. The "standard" Eldo should have the soft ride suspension. The standard cars did not have any kind of designation on them, no emblems to my knowledge. The dealers did have some way of discerning the two however when they were ordering them. I remember a list of acronyms a while back when I was researching my '99 STS. Let's see:

SLS = Seville Luxury Sedan

STS = Seville Touring Sedan

DHS = Deville High (luxury) Sedan

DTS = Deville Touring Sedan

ETC = Eldorado Touring Coupe

E(H or L or nothing)C = Eldorado (something) Coupe

I think it was the L that the dealers were using.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I HAVE A ELDO ETC, I'M ASKING BECAUSE IN PASTS LIST THE COST FOR SOFT SUSP. STRUTS IS $195. (PN#RPO-FE1) THE SPORT IS $652. (PRO-FE3)

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK. <_>

Starting in 1997, the Eldorado and Deville changed suspension designs. The touring models (the ETC and Deville Concours) had active, electronic dampers and CV-RSS (Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension). The other models ("base" Eldorado, Deville, and Deville d'Elegance) went to passive (conventional) dampers without the variable suspension.

In this case, the "sport ride" (RPO code FE3) is the active suspension and the "soft ride" (RPO code FE1) is the passive suspension. That's why the price difference is so great. My guess is you have the ETC car (check your RPO list, under the spare tire cover in the trunk, for the FE3 code) and you don't want to pay the 700 bucks each for the electronic struts! I don't blame you brother. There is a workaround that works on '97 model Sevilles...and it MAY work on your '99 model Eldorado, too. No guarantees though.

http://maydog.dyndns.org/www/struts/97_passive_replace.html

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived