CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

bobbinski please help

sts man

hello sir I havent been on the site for about a year, you helped me out alot of times.Well anywayi have a problem i have a 99 sts i notice the coolanit going down and to started to over heat so i change the thromsat still over heating now i have no leaks the engine overs heats with the ac off and the resore cap on with the off it does not but its pour out off the top went to a shop and pressure check on the resore he told me i have might a blow by in the cylinders i have no water oil i have it steams the raddator has pressure i don't want to tryit like there is a little steam coming out of the exhaust can it be my water pump i check the fans seems to be ok i have codes ddm-u301 ddm-u1255 ipc-b1652 ipc-b1983

irc-u1129 irc-u1064 irc-u1065 irc-u1060 irc-u1255 pcm-po340 rim12656 msmb1327 msmb2355 msmb2375 irc-u1016 those are the codes and thank you for your help i don't want to take it to a shop without your reply becuse know seems to know what they are talking about

It sounds to me like you have done a lot of diagnosis already. From what you are describing it does not look good, it sounds like you have a bad head gasket. Its not likely your water pump if you have steam coming out of your exhaust and a pressure test turned up a problem. Hopefully bbobynski will chime in here..

About two years ago I did have a head gasket leak into cyl # seven. This was a result of a couple head bolts pulling loose on that cylinder.

Here are some "one liners" that I experienced.

- Loosing coolant, 1 L/qt loss in a 2 week timeframe.

- Overheating, ONLY under heavy load. Up a long steep hill, or WOT.

- NO coolant in the oil.

- No visable coolant vapor in the exhaust.

- 120 psi (compressed air) applied to cyl #7 resulted in bubble sounds from the expansion tank. (No visable bubbles).

I checked the following prior to the compressed air test.

- Water pump.

- Water pump belt.

- Water pump belt tensioner.

- Thermostat.(Replaced)

- Fans

All checked well.

It was Guru that suggested the compressed air check, and that confirmed the coolant leak into the cylinder.

Hopefully that's not your problem, however there are ways to determine for sure, prior to attacking the head gasket.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

How do I know what head it is? Can I remove the sparkplugs and tell what cylinder it is by inspecting the plugs?

I couldn't tell what cyl or head by looking at the plugs.

I had to do a pressure test on all cylinders.

Without getting into a lengthly description, you need the following.

- A compressed air supply. 125 PSI

- An adapter to attach air to spark plug hole.

- Engine must be at TDC on Compression stroke. (Exactly TDC or the engine will rotate)

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

It's funny I tried a radiator presure test .A friend that works at a repair shop lent me a tool that has an adapter for the coolant res it had a presure gauge with a pump I did a few test one for leaks and one for head gasket leaks.I had the gauge on the res eninge cool I started the engine and waited it to warm up the presure never got more than 7 psi the system is rated at 15 so I dont he told me it if it had a head gasket leak it should the presure should rise rapidy after about 15 mins later I turned it off I bought a new res cap and put coolant an bars anti leak. One question. I replaced the coolant last year with dex cool but did not use the bars or the gm sealant pellets.Could that had caused this problem? I still want to try the 120 psi test .keep you posted I hope it's not a head gasket!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for everything guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! :huh:

No, forgetting the sealant tabs will not cause a gasket to go bad. It is only preventative for porous castings or minor leaks. It will not stop a head gasket leak.

It sounds like you tested it wrong. With the engine cold, remove the cap and replace it with the tester. Then use the attatched pump to pump the system up to 15 psi and see if it holds pressure for about :30 min.

bbobbinski today I read the post about possable air in the system I took the return hose off the coolant res and started it and took it to 4000 a times after it got to normal temp I replaced the hose I took it for a drive and several wot form a stand still after about a half hour it seems to be ok for now.btw I tried the test with sparkplugs removed with the coolant in the system Ipumped it up to 16 psi I removed the ignition relay so the plug wires would not ark on anyting turned it over about 8 revoltions and lost no pressure at the gauge. so I dont know Iguess I'll leave it alone for now. Thanks!

Archived