CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk mounted cd changer

Dadillac

My 2002 Seville SLS does not have a cd changer. I found the cable, in the center console, and found a new 6 cd changer and mount kit. I really would like to get a 12 cd changer, and mount it in the trunk. Does anyone know the GM part number, for a 12 cd changer, that works with my Seville? Also, is there a cable for it, already in the trunk someplace? Thanks

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Dadillac,

The only OEM 12-disc CD changer that will probably be compatible with your vehicle is P/N 25708970, which is used in the following vehicles:

'00+ Pontiac Bonneville

'01+ Oldsmobile Aurora

Be advised that this changer is unique to these vehicles listed above, and is very different from the one used in the Buick Park Avenue and earlier Eldorado/Seville/Deville models, although all of them are made by Pioneer. It also uses a unique cartridge.

The '98+ Seville models were never intended to have a trunk-mounted CD changer, so there is no pre-wiring for one inside the trunk. Theoretically, you could extend the existing console wiring harness to a suitable mounting location in the trunk, but in order to package the added wiring neatly, you would need to perform quite a bit of interior trim disassembly in the passenger compartment and the trunk. You would also have some difficulty mounting the changer in the trunk, as there are no existing mounting provisions for it. Your best bet would be to try to adapt the Aurora mounting bracket to the Seville, though the differences in the trunk trim "carpet" between the vehicle models would make this more than a simple "bolt on" job. Alternatively, you could try installing the 12-disc changer in place of the 6-disc changer inside the floor console, but this certainly would require even more elaborate custom bracketry.

In my opinion, the time and expense that you would need to invest to make this proposed CD changer modification is far outweighed by any performance benefits. If I were you, I would simply install the 6-disc changer in the console and live with it. If your concern is being "limited" to having only 6 CDs loaded at one time, then you would be much better off acquiring extra 6-disc cartridges rather than spending the considerably more money and time required to perform the 12-disc changer installation.

By the way, just in case you have not yet tried out the 6-disc changer that you said you had acquired, be advised that the changer units used in the Seville and Deville were changed at the beginning of MY '02; the changer used in pre-'02 vehicle models may appear outwardly identical to the later unit, but it will not function in your vehicle. The design change was in the serial data communication protocol used by the changer to communicate with the radio; prior to '02, it used the "Entertainment & Comfort" (E&C) network, but was changed to the "standard" Class 2 network in '02. Thus, an earlier changer will not communicate properly with the radio in your '02 vehicle. The appropriate '02+ 6-disc changer is P/N 25736508. However, the same 6-disc cartridge is used with all of the changers.

(Hopefully you did not acquire an improper 6-disc changer.)

Good luck!

Also keep in mind that there is an "issue" (as I discovered with Road Warrior's help) with the 02-04 radios using the serial data newtork. I'm not sure how GM would deal with a car with a OE Radio that can't communicate with a OE CD changer that was never installed... Even though it was wired for it...

Give the frustration I'm having with my (soon to be ex-) dealer fixing mine under warrantee, I would talk with your dealer (or whoever is going to install the changer) and let them know that there is a known potential issue with the Radio System in these cars (02-04 only) and have them agree to upgrade the radio if you encounter it.

Mr Warrior posted the upgraded radio part numbers here:

02-04 Radio Upgrade to fix wonky CD Changer

Good Luck!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Thank you for the insight on the trunk unit. I suppose I will just go with the console model. For the console unit, I received part number 12498050, from my local dealer. When I found the unit, which is new/never been used, it references 2001-2004 Seville's. Are you sure that this isn't the correct number?

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Archived