CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire pressure... Uneven wear..

MIke D

I have a 93 STS that I swapped to the deville wheels from 2000- 2003. Anyways I am running Michelin Pilot XGT H4 size 255/50 r16. I started running them with the stock tire pressure and noticed the center tread to wear down FAST (3000-5000 miles) on the front only. So I swapped front to rear and tried lowering pressure. I did the highly scientific, roll through a puddle and look at the water mark. They seamed to be even.

Now everyone who walks up to my car says that my front tires are low... I say "yeah I know" and just ignore them. While running them @ 29psi for about 10,000 miles or so I noticed that once again the center is worn far more than the outer tread. Is this just because the wheel is too small (width) for the amount of tread I have or should I drop the pressure down even further? I think the wheel is either 7.5" or 8" wide.... if that helps...

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks, Mike D

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Hmmm, that's a doozey. I researched the size of the tire and one company told me that the "Approved Wheel Width" is seven inchs, and another said eight inchs. If I am not mistaken, the 16 inch Deville wheels are 7 inchs wide. But I do not think that there should be a problem fitting those tires on that size rim. I would not feel safe running much less PSI than you already are. If I were you, I would start rotating them more often, maybe around 5000 miles to even out wear and bite the bullet on the premature wear. Hope this helps :rolleyes: .

Spence

I would use the door jamp recommendations as the minimum tire pressure for handling and safety (and rim protection in potholes....) something that 29 does not do.

Otherwise, if the wear is only evident on the front end are you sure the toe is correct?? Too much toe in or too out could cause similar wear to the center of the tire and would certainly exaserbate a too wide tire on a too narrow rim.

b-bob, Thanks for your help (everyone else too who replied). The 29 psi is the factory for the 225/60r16 so since it is a larger tire would it need more pressure. They do look "flat." Initially I ran them @ 34psi and tore up the center of the fronts in about 5000 miles...

Actually now that I think about it... please let me clarify. I mean the center of the tread. not the inner part of the tread (center of car). That's why I thought the toe would be good. I thought if both the inner or outer treads were worn then the toe would be out of wack... or is that the camber?

I am tired and not thinking strait. MD

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

You can find rim matching the specific tire at www.tirerack.com

I also tried www.whalentire.com they reccomended a 7" wheel to be the smallest for the 255's. What's cool is they also showed how much your speed would be off @ 60MPH.

The bad part of tirerack is it only reccomends 215 and 205's for my car on. I want bigger not smaller than the 225.. IDK

On tirerack I did see a set of yokohama's for less than the XGT H4's...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

The ricers love these tires... and the #'s dont look bad 500 AA A....

Here is a comparrison graph...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...y.jsp?type=HPAS

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Archived