CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

speed sensor fault

tkjr

Backed out of the driveway and put the car in drive. Started to go forward then the car started shifting wierd, and the speedometer was bouncing from @25 mph to zero. Put the car back in the driveway, turned it off and on, and everything was fine. The next day it happened again and wont go away now. "Speed sensor fault" came up on display. Now car just stays in 1st or 2nd gear and the speedometer stays at 0 mph. If I stay on the gas waiting for it to shift the rpm's just keep climbing and climbing. Car is moving 20 - 30 mph but speedometer still says 0. From what I've read in the manual, sounds like the "vehicle speed sensor" on the tranny. But I couldnt find it on the tranny. From the pic it looks like its on top of the tranny near the rear of the engine.

Does my problem sound like the "vehicle speed sensor" and if so does anyone know where it is exactly?? Btw, no current codes related to problem. THANKS ALOT, TK.

Thanks for the reply. But, is that the vehicle speed sensor? It looks like the article is talking about the input speed sensor. Which is inside the tranny and I thought the vss was outside? Thanks again

The VSS is mounted on the trans just above where the right side drive shaft enters the transmission.

It can be serviced on the car.

Archived