CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Temp readout

SGT.ROCK

You might be having a problem with your PCM or OTS, according to the 95 manual (which may be different than the 98) "If the engine coolant temperature is less than 10F above the outside temperature sensor reading , the actual sensed outside temperature is displayed. However, if engine coolant is greater than 18f above the sensor reading "memorized" outside temperature is displayed." Does the outside temp change? or is it always the same?

A.J.

Im not sure about the engine coolant I know the engine temp stays normal its just the outside temp gauge that doesnt read right like Sunday the outside temp was around 60 degrees but my car said it was 86 degrees.

The general rule is: if temperature reads higher than it realy is look for shortage, if it reads lower look for open circuit.

Your case is a bit difficult, cause it's just a 20F higher. Look for a dirt causes to current leak.

A few years ago I replaced the sensor for the outside temperature. It was only off a few degrees, however it bothered me that it wasn't accurate.

At the time it was around $ 20.00. I'm sure now that it's much more.

On a '94 the sensor is located behind the grille, near the hood latch.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Barry, my '97 has a small device that looks like an enlarged pen cap, mounted vertically near/under the hood latch. There's a little "nipple" on the bottom that looks like a small black magnet, with a weatherpack connection at the top of it. Is this indeed the OAT sensor?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Also it seems like the colder it gets outside the reading from my car gets higher. Like last week or so when the outside temp was 0f-10f above my readout in my car was stuck on 124f , then as it would warm up outside the temp from my car would actually get lower . Thanx for any and all help you guys give me.

Barry, my '97 has a small device that looks like an enlarged pen cap, mounted vertically near/under the hood latch. There's a little "nipple" on the bottom that looks like a small black magnet, with a weatherpack connection at the top of it. Is this indeed the OAT sensor?

That sounds like it. I have a picture of mine, however, I usually host my pictures on the Corvette Forum site, but I was unable access it today.

If you want to see the picture, send me an email and I'll send it to you.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I know that on my black 97 STS, the outside temperature is always wrong after being parked in the sun all day. I can get in and I know that the outside temperature is in the mid 80's but the dash shows 90-100. It corrects itself after driving a few minutes. I guess the moving air helps cool off the sensor untill it reads the correct temperature.

The 124 reading is a mistery. The highest I have seen my display is 118 when the outside temp was 99 or 100.

For twenty bucks I would just replace it.

Archived