CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New here..trouble starting

95monte

Hey there everyone. My name is Don..im 17 and from IL. For the first 6 months i had my liscense i drove my grandparents 99 deville. Singe than Ive gotten my own car which is a 95 monte carlo. Caddys are all over my family..my grandma's last 3 cars have been caddys..and my cousin has a 94 eldarado and my aunt had a 95 seville. Well i just have a couple quick questions. On both my aunt's and grandma's cars they have trouble starting, but only the first time when its cold. The engine cranks over till u give it some gas...starter going??? maybe the plugs?? One more question. How hard is it to change the plugs on a 99 deville. My grandpa's back is bad so i said i'll do it if he can guide me through it. Thanks alot!!! - Don

ohh btw....ive seen a couple monte carlos like mine where they threw a 4.9 engine from the old deville in it...same trans...but now the more popluar swat is the supercharged GTP engine.

Might be worth while checking the FPR (fuel pressure regulator). I believe it can cause hard starting.

I have not done plugs on mine yet but I have heard it said that the right bank is easier to get to if you remove the coil pack first. Be carfull removing the wires so as not to pull the wire off the tip and be sure to route them back the same way they came off.

My money (just this first guess) would be on the fuel pressure regulator or one of its seals. If the seals are bad, the fuel can leak down and you'll wind up with no pressure. When you start it first thing after sitting for a while, it'll be very hard to start, because the fuel pump has to pump away for a few seconds before proper pressure builds up. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, see what the pressure is on a cold crank. It could be many other things, but that would be my first off-the-cuff guess.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Forgot to mention, the FPR is on the fuel rail. With the engine running, pull the vacuum hose off and look for fuel leaking out of the nipple. If there is any leakage, the FPR is bad and needs to be replaced.

Archived