CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

please help

cruzship

Had tires high speed balanced and rotated, and still have an intermittent shimmy from 60up that will shake the hood. Braking at speed seems to lessen shimmy. Tires wearing evenly.Do I need to see a front end shop, or back to Caddy?Car has 150K with no major work.

Sometimes tires can be out of round or have flat spots. Is the inside of the rims clean? I have heard of crud building up inside rims and cause them to be out of balance. Is everything tight such as tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc.? Could it be warped brake rotors? That is all I can think of at the moment.

LOTS of discussion on this board about shimmy and shake in the front end of newer models. I don't think the '95's were susceptible to the inherent design limitations of the 97+ models, so a front end shop is your best bet. I'd be looking for worn out parts at this mileage. Particular attention should be given to the normal stuff first...ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arms, and intermediate shafts. If nothing turns up there, look somewhat deeper into the rubber parts and the Rack itself. Certain suspension support parts as well as engine mounts can cause some strange things to happen under there after that many miles.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived