CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Low Refrigerant warning

Songman

Hello Cadillac owners...

I'm having a problem and could use a little advice... On a 1992 Cadillac Seville with a 4.9, the Low Refrigerant warning keeps coming up on the Information Center. I can hit the Store button and make it go away for a while but it comes back on in a few minutes...

I have had this checked repeatedly by a Cadillac service center. They did something one time and said it was fixed but it came back in about a month. The serviceman said something about a sensor being too close to something... ???

Now, I search the archives of the old message center and it seems that everyone says that even though the system is supposed to be full of freon, that it is air in the system or something else... The problem with that theory on this car is that this problem has been going on for several years! And the A/C will freeze you out of the car! No way this car is low on freon.. This has been verified by the Cadillac dealer service several times...

Any ideas on how to fix it? Or at least to stop the display from coming up? Thanks.

I had a '92 Deville for many years and never had that warning. Don't know what he was talking about it being to close to. I would check the low pressure sensor and make sure the plug connections are clean and tight. If not, then maybe the sensor is headed south. I'm sure replacing it will mean evacuating the system.

Adrian is right. Low refrigerant can cause the evaporator to freeze up. My house system once got low and the evaporator froze to a solid block of ice and restricted air flow. It would not be unheard of for a '92 to need a top off.

I had the same problem with my Eldo. Light came on intermittently but A/C worked fine. Had it topped off. No change. Finally unplugged and cleaned all the electrical connectors along the A/C lines and reconnected. That stopped it. You can do this yourself, free, in about 10 minutes. If it doesn't help, no loss and no harm done. As an aside, a year later the compressor quit but I don't believe it to be related to the first instance.

FWIW

DFB

Low refrigerant can cause the evaporator to freeze up.

Not likely if the system is working as deisgned. The HVAC programmer cycles the compressor based on evaporator inlet temperature. In fact, the low refrigerant algorithm looks at the rate of change of this temperature upon engagement of the compressor, and compares it to a known good value for a given set of conditions. First thing in the morning, I would compare the low side temperature to other thermistor readings (high side, outside temp, coolant temp, etc.). If a discrepancy is found, the electrical connections and the resistance across the sensor terminals should be checked.

Low refrigerant can cause the evaporator to freeze up.

Not likely if the system is working as deisgned. The HVAC programmer cycles the compressor based on evaporator inlet temperature. In fact, the low refrigerant algorithm looks at the rate of change of this temperature upon engagement of the compressor, and compares it to a known good value for a given set of conditions.

Now that you mention it, that makes sense. I somtimes forget how soffisticated these systems are.

Thanks guys! We got it! I am not sure which one it was, but I took off, cleaned and reattached the three switch wiring plugs that are on the a/c lines that run along the firewall... It was obviously one of these that was not making a good connection and the message no longer appears on the Information Center! You guys are good!

Thanks guys! We got it! I am not sure which one it was, but I took off, cleaned and reattached the three switch wiring plugs that are on the a/c lines that run along the firewall... It was obviously one of these that was not making a good connection and the message no longer appears on the Information Center! You guys are good!

Gotta love a happy ending :)

Archived