CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power steering fluid leak & fan question

2 unrelated things, but combining since one is simple.

#1 I have a power steering fluid leak. It seemed to be intermittent - would go for days & the level wouldn't change, then there'd be a little puddle under the car (~half a soda can's worth), then be fine for a while. Now it is to the point of a steady drip. I had the car up today & found out where it is coming from. Don't know what these parts are or how difficult they are to get at, but this is the general area. It almost looks like a sensor connection where it's dripping. Pass side of car about inline with the back of the tire.

IMG-20150816-00516.jpg

IMG-20150816-00518.jpg

#2 - should the fans come on with the A/C? I noticed today while charging the A/C that the fans never came on. About 90° here today, car sat idling w/ hood up for about 45 min. Temp gauge never went above halfway, but I thought most electric fans engaged with the A/C regardless of coolant temp to pull air thru the condenser. Is that normal?

The high pressure hose leaks at the coupler. usually on a hard lock turn, fluid will spray out. Rockauto has good deals on them.

On the A/C, did you have gauges hooked up? Does the A/C function ok?

Yes. Been fighting it since the system had several small leaks. Working now but will see for how long (last 2 fixes seemed to work for a few days).

But compressor kicks on/off like it should, it's blowing cold air, & no codes.

[edited to add] I wasn't able to get 2.0 lbs of refrigerant into it though. I ran the vacuum pump for 30 min, let it sit holding holding vacuum for 30 min, ran pump again for about 45 min, then filled. It took one 12oz can & most of a second. Near the end of can #2 I was at 45 low, 200 high. Engine hot, 90° ambient, in direct sun. I didn't think I should go much above 200 on the high side & thought about 170 was normal for a milder day? At 55° at the center vents, fan on high, recirc off. Not spectacular, but without flushing the system, no airflow thru the condenser, & sitting in direct sun I figured that was decent. Much better than the 105° I was getting :) Anyway, not sure why I wasn't able to get more refrigerant into the system. I replaced the suction side line assembly and the high pressure discharge line. Yesterday was just the HP discharge line - suction assy was a few weeks ago. I bought the lower cost lines from Rock Auto, not the Delphi/ACDelco/whatever is OEM so maybe they're smaller diameter & there's less total volume in the system? Eyeballing them, they looked about the same as what came out.

The high pressure hose leaks at the coupler. usually on a hard lock turn, fluid will spray out. Rockauto has good deals on them.

So I need this assembly? https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=984535&cc=1352922&jnid=439&jpid=2

I just thought of something. I changed the alternator a couple weeks ago. Part of that was removing the hold downs for the power steering line & moving that line out of the way. Moving that line around & pushing it out of the way probably stressed the connection at the other end.

Does that connection need any kind of special tool or technique to install? Or is it as simple as turning a wrench? Reason I ask is I found out the hard way that transmission cooler lines to the radiator don't just simply go back in place by tightening the nut at the radiator.

Alldata instructions cover removing the line from the PS pump & have pictures showing just using a wrench, but say/show nothing about the other end (where I'm leaking).

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Raise and Support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  2. Disconnect the pressure hose from the power steering gear.
  1. Remove the mounting hold down brackets from the frame.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector to the hose.
  3. Remove the mounting hold down brackets from the head.
  1. Disconnect pressure line from the power steering pump.
  2. Remove the pressure hose from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the pressure hose in place.

NOTICE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the pressure hose to the pump.
    • Tighten the pressure hose nut to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the mounting hold down bracket to the head.
  2. Install the electrical connector to the pressure hose.
  3. Install the mounting hold down brackets to the frame.
  4. Install the pressure hose to the power steering gear.
    • Tighten the pressure hose nut to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.) .

Archived