CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'97 SLS vs. '00 Mustang GT

Flyer

Now I have been told by some people, who swear up and down that GT's don't stand a chance against Northstar powered Caddy's. But I strongly suspected that they were dreaming of a different outcome, than what would really result from a head to head match up of the cars...

Of course the Mustang has a big advantage with the manual 5 speed vs. an antiquated (only in gear offerings), 4 speed? (common!! a "state of the art" luxury sedan should be sporting no less than 5 speeds in an automatic, and preferrably 6!! These cars cost $45-55K new!!)

Anyway, my friend and coworker was so kind as to test my theory after we left work the other day, both of our cars are bone stock, and we punched it from a rolling stop, and right off the bat I jumped ahead about a car length until he caught some good traction, and by mid second gear (for me) he was right with me, and before I was at the top of second gear, he was pulling away strong. Ah, I love these cars, but as I theorized, they indeed are not steed killers.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

It was a bone stock GT, and I was pretty excited taking it off the jump, because I though he would get me there too.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

I use to own a SHO and before I owned it I didn't have a whole lot of respect for them ... with my 1970 TA it's darned quick off the line thru 100 MPH.

Anyway, of the line they were dogs but once they are wound up I think they would give any Northstar a run for the money. One of the club membes here has the limiter removed and he could get 140 MPH in 4th gear and it had a 5 speed. I'm not saying they will pull away and most likely they won't ... but you're not going to go off and leave him either. 220 HP out of a 180 CID engine is a pretty good HP to cubic inch ratio. And their torque curve is flatter than Kansas from about 1500 RPM to 6400 RPM before it starts dropping off. And wind ... my RPM limiter kicked in at 7600 RPM (by gage)

Jim White

I would love it to death if my Northstar could rev to 7600 rpm! My 6000-6200 is a lot of fun though.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

user posted image

Doesn't it certainly help the Mustang that it weights next to nothing in comparison to a Cadillac?

In the winter time I always end up pushing mustangs through the snow when they get trapped on the dead end street where I live, which happens to end up with deep snow drifts and lots of ice. Funny too because I can usually push them with just one hand!!

A Mercury Marques was stuck here this winter and it took three of us, using all our strength to literally bounce and rock that sucker until we got it to point in the direction of level ground. I told the owner to park it and not drive it again until April.

The caddy just goes through the snow and ice like it's not even there but the mustang spins it's wheel on and on and on and on....

There's a guy in the complex here where I live with a newish (I'm unsure about the year) Camaro that's got the 5.7 litre engine. I wonder how he would fend on the track? He seems to get around ok in the snow and ice oddly enough. He loves my caddy, he's always talking with me about it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Why do we feel that winning a race is the point? There are so many situations that you and your car will encounter. If I can end up close in a race with a much lighter 'performance' car (ie, camaro, mustang, even a corvette ...) then I feel just fine in my '95 ETC (where are the Beach Boys when we need them?).

I once drove my etc in a heavy snowstorm in February (think is was a super bowl sunday) from Lynchburgh Va, to north of Baltimore Md (~200 mi). The traction control was perfect, the power was where I needed it, when the road dried out the next week I was back to wot's, and I didn't have to drive an effing suv to do it!

Archived