CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Deville LR brakeline leak location tips.

A while back I popped a brake-line on my 97 Deville. No danger as I was in my driveway and got the car stopped and safely parked.

The line is popped somewhere just aft of the front door. I jacked up the car and placed it on stands then had a friend pump the brakes in order to locate the leak. I see clearly where the leak is occurring but it is not from any visible line.

There is a cannister that may be a fuel filter and there is an odd bit of twisted metal that looks like a clamping system or carrier system for the Ebrake cable.

It is dark now so I cannot get a pic it is as if there is a frame rail and the leaking tube is tucked inside.

the brake lines run above the fuel filter. One follows the vent fuel line and the other follows the fuel return line. They may have a spring around them in areas where they bend. It is likely the one of the lines popped between the unibody and fuel tank. I went through the same thing last year with my 97 Seville. It can be either rear line. But if one is bad they both are. Good luck to you. If you search you will find my thread for both my 96 and my 97.

Also there is another member going through similair and I have quite a bit of info in it. IT has hydraulic line in the title for a 96 Deville.

Good luck to you

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

the brake lines run above the fuel filter. One follows the vent fuel line and the other follows the fuel return line. They may have a spring around them in areas where they bend. It is likely the one of the lines popped between the unibody and fuel tank. I went through the same thing last year with my 97 Seville. It can be either rear line. But if one is bad they both are. Good luck to you. If you search you will find my thread for both my 96 and my 97.

Also there is another member going through similair and I have quite a bit of info in it. IT has hydraulic line in the title for a 96 Deville.

Good luck to you

I seem to be a victim of a BAD previous owner. The LR caliper is fed through a line that has been spliced into the system just behind the front door.

I think it may be time to sell this for junk as all the bits are rusty and its popped a block expansion plug on the firewall side of the engine.

My kingdom for a hoist or this guy:

A freeze plug popped out? it would seem that the only way that should happen is if someone had water in the coolant system and it froze, or if it rusted, But I have yet to run into one on a northstar. Usually a leak on the firewall side is one of the 2 pipes that run across the back side to the passenger side.

As for the brake line, someone probably did a temp repair just to get by. It bites back eventually.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

OMG ! that video was insane ! and at one point I thought of rebuilding one of my Northstars................

Archived