CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tough to shift out of park

wfpd39

My 99 STS just got tough to shift out of park. I need to muscle the shifter to the right to get it to go down to drive. Once in gear, no other problems, and no problem getting it back into Park. Any suggestions? (72K miles)

user posted image

Just a guess but it seems like something is holding up/ jamming the linkage. Have you recently changed tranny fluid or had the tranny pan removed for some reason?

Perhaps something got misaligned or stuck?

My guess is that its the locking mechanism that forces you to press the brake pedal to shift out of park. There is a solenoid mechanism that you may need to adjust or replace. When you hit the brake do you hear a click?

Aye aye An01, I think I amstepping hard enough. No, there is no clicking sound. There has been no work done under the car, so I am thinking that the solenoid may be the problem. If so, where is it, and is it somthing I can replace myself?

user posted image

Aye aye An01, I think I amstepping hard enough. No, there is no clicking sound. There has been no work done under the car, so I am thinking that the solenoid may be the problem. If so, where is it, and is it somthing I can replace myself?

Its under the dash down by your feet, I will look at the manual later to figure out where,

Beware of things that fix themselves suddenly. Usually there is a reason for something acting strange. With my luck, it would wait unitl I was in a section of town that I wouldn't normally go and the da*m thin would lock up completely. :angry:

I can hear the towing company now: Sir, when we got there all we found were your hubcaps! :P

I tend to think that Scotty is going in the right direction. That solenoid could have a loose connector, or could be failing internally.

The solenoid on my 94 SLS has never worked. I get the message "Apply Brake Before Shifting" but you can shift it from park without applying the brake. I grew up in a era where you were suppost to know when to shift and that in car with an automatic transmission you should be smart enough to put the brake on first. ;) So I never bothered to fix it.

WFPD39's problem is a little different though. It has the possibility of stranding her.

Since this is a "SAFETY" related problem, it could be possible to get Caddy to fix it for no charge. (I won't hold my breath.) :blink:

Additionally, If there has been any work done on the transmission, or the shifter componets, then there is a possibility that they left something loose.

Anyway, I would not take the chance that it is "fixed". I would get it checked out.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas

Britt

Britt

Archived