CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Weird Windshield & Steering wheel wood

iowaboy77

I bought an 01 STS about a month ago. At the time it was raining. When I got it home and it wasn't raining I noticed what looked like a film on the windshield. When you'd move your head from side to side it was like heat ripples you see coming off the highway in the summer, but caused by something in or on the windshield. I scrubbed both sides with no results. The dealer said it was most likely a wax and it would come off with time... but I have about three months left under factory warranty so time isn't exactly on my side. Has anyone had any experience with a defective windshield causing what I'm describing?

It could be a film... some parts of the rest of the car look like they have some sort of weird film on it too... I'm thinking of calling the previous owner and inquiring if he knows.

Also I've noticed a minor one inch crack in the wood part on the steering wheel- on the back side. It has widened since the weather turned cold and dry- but still minor in my eyes. Does anyone know if this is something that would be fixable under factory warranty? Should I even bother?

Regarding the "ripply" windshield, I've noticed a lot of cars with factory-applied tinting (like the mild Soft Ray tint on most GM cars) seem to have a ripple in them when looked at the right way. I notice it a lot on Saturns on Toyotas it seems like. Could it be some sort of a soft ray tinting on the windshield?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

In as far as the windshield, There are some polishers out there that will remove wax, rain -x .... and so on. It may take some elbow grease to get the stuff off.

As far as the steering wheel wood cracking; They did replace mine. You have to ask and if it is clearly s defect they shouldn't have any trouble replacing it.

Jim

Also,

I would also take it in to a glass windshield shop (Novus is a national chain) and have them take a look at it. Perhaps someone tried to polish all the little pits that windshields aquire and distorted the windshield. If that's the case, the warranty may not cover it.

Good Luck!

Jim

Archived