CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turtlecops 02 Northstar head gasket repair project

Thanks to all of your expertise from earlier posts I decided to tackle my 2002 DeVille headgasket repair. I started the project just after Thanksgiving 2012 and the car was lowered back onto the engine Jan 4th 2013. obviously I was doing this in my spare time and took 2 weeks off at Christmas. I used the kit by Timesert. i have lots of pictures and some videos. The Helm service manuals were a must and i followed them page by page. Very clearly written with lots of diagrams. several special tools were a must have but most can be rented or borrowed. And then there is always ebay :-) In my case the 3 headbolts had pulled loose over cylinders 1&3 allowing the oil to pour down and pool on top of the engine under the intake plenum. I could move them with my fingers. If your interested in pictures i will research how to post them to this thread. The quality craftsmanship of the Northstar engine inside is amazing. The car is running great! "Nothing rides like a Cadillac"...

A writeup with pics would be great...

The way I post pics to the forum, is with a free Photobucket account.

It is pretty easy.

If you need any help posting the pics from Photobucket... just ask and I (or someone) will try to help.

Posted Image

I will go to photobucket and open an account today. I will need instr on how to post the pics once they are uploaded to there. Thanks.

Once you UPLOAD your pics to Photobucket, you just move the mouse cursor over the pic... a box will pop up with 4 options...

One of the options is IMG CODE...

Click on that and then come here to the forum where you want the pic to be... PASTE it and the pic will then show up here.

It's pretty easy.. just takes a little getting used to.

Posted Image

upon removing the air plenum this is the oil pool that was found. as you can tell in the picture the oil was coming from the head gasket at cylinders 1&3.

Oilleakingfromrightheadcyl1amp3_zpsbff79648.jpg no picture will copy now

now no picture will copy. do you use the Image button on the tool bar? it just says URL. no luck pasting there either.

I see two pictures...

Look around for an option to go to the older CLASSIC VIEW...

You may not have that option, being a new user.

They switched me to the newer graphic version a few weeks ago... I didn't like it and finally was able to switch back to the older version.

Posted Image

firstviewwithairplenumremoved_zps9f1af396.jpg[/img]

When i click on the IMG code button it says copied. when i come back here and click on the Image (photo) button on the tool bar it gives me a box that says URL. it then allows me to paste the IMG code. I am trying another picture because when i click the post button it may then attach the picture. just let me know. i used the Timesert kit for my repair and i have to say that it was a well thought out kit with quality machining of the two step drill bit, tap and insert tool. the kit came in a very nice plastic molded case to house the kit. after 20 holes that drill bit showed no signs of dulling. of course i used plenty of WD-40 like they recommended. the dealership that took the heads off in 2006 for a repair never used any type of helicoil or insert in the engine block as recommended by GM. They just put it back together and sent my dad on his way. it lasted until the warrantee expired.

firstviewwithairplenumremoved_zps9f1af396.jpg

Archived