CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brand-new knuckle bushings with play

I just had my knuckle bushings changed (by a mechanic), and there was a slight amount of play in the right rear wheel after changing them. After taking the wheel off to inspect, we could see that the bushing had some play in it longitudinally if the top of the knuckle was pushed backwards with a pry bar. However, we could not feel any play when feeling the bushing "in and out", which was the direction we could feel play in with the car on the ground (by pulling in and out on the top of the wheel). With my old (bad) bushings, play could be felt in the same way with the car on the ground, and it could not be felt with the wheels in the air (like now). The bushings (Doorman) were installed with the supplied tools (the short pieces of pipe).

Should the knuckle bushings be able to move in one direction? Are they sensitive in any special way? Are there ways to damage them because they are really cross-axial joints and not bushings?

i have yet to have a problem. Either defective bushing or installed correctly? How much play would you say?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

With the car sitting on the ground, if I grab the top of the wheel and pull it in and out, there is a small amount of play somewhere. Feels like with the old bushings, but much less.

With the car on a hoist, there is no play in that direction. However, the top bushing can be moved longitudinally. If the top bushing of the knuckle is pushed towards the rear of the car, it moves and springs back again when the pry bar is removed. It can move quite a lot, maybe about 1/8 of an inch or 3 mm. It is the same but less pronounced on the other side (where there is no play at ride height).

just checked my 96 Deville today as I did them about 2 years ago. no play yet. and I live in upstate NY ie pothole city. They only have noticeable play when parked normal and shook from the top side of the tire

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

just checked my 96 Deville today as I did them about 2 years ago. no play yet. and I live in upstate NY ie pothole city. They only have noticeable play when parked normal and shook from the top side of the tire

I am not sure that I follow. Do you mean that yours do not have any play, but if there would be any play, it would only be noticeable when parked normal and shook from the top side of the tire?

Archived