CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

While driviving home on the thruway the other night, my headlights suddenly got very bright and a high voltage message came up and then service the charging system. Then the message changed into battery not charging. I pulled into the next service area and pulled the codes and the only current was P0563. I had it towed home and then checked the codes again. This time the only current code was P1638. But when I pull the codes while the car is running i get P1638 and B1911. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The first code youhad... P0563 is a VOLTAGE HIGH code.

The B1911 is an alternator code..

The P1638 is an alternator code..

I would start checking around locally, to find a good place to have the alternator rebuilt.

Posted Image

Thanks Jim. Do you think I am better off buying a new ac delco or having it rebuilt? Kinda low on cash at the moment (it all started on the way home from vacation). I saw a delco on ebay for about $140

Thanks Jim. Do you think I am better off buying a new ac delco or having it rebuilt? Kinda low on cash at the moment (it all started on the way home from vacation). I saw a delco on ebay for about $140

If you will check around locally... there is probably an independent starter / alternator shop that will rebuild yours cheaper than you can buy a new one.

Posted Image

Archived