CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Evening, Have been fixing small ellectrical problems on the 93. The fuel gauge if going to full when key is turned on, the fuel tank was replaced just before I purchased it so I am going for the wiring harness tommorow. My book does not show the harnes accsess, do I drop the tank or is there a panel under the rear seat? The windshield wippers do not park thats next. Then onto the outside mirrors that will not move down. Have to pull radio out and send it to a shop because it smoked out the cass an cd slots!!!! Did fix parisitic draw killin the battery after rewiring the alt and starter circuits! The trunk pull down works now also.

The first thing to do is to read the OBD codes, and, if you need help in interpreting them or using them to track down a problem, post them here.

A fuel gauge that is eternally pegged on Full can be caused by a short between the two wires going to the fuel level sensor, or it can be caused by a physically stuck fuel sensor. I've taken a look at the procedure for removing and replacing the modular fuel sender assembly, which includes the fuel level sending unit, the fuel pump, two strainers, and a fuel reservoir (bucket) in which the fuel pump is immersed. It's tricky, and the mechanic that replaced the fuel tank may have bent something.

From the 1997 FSM page 8A-51-1, the two wires going to the fuel tank level sensor are PPL/WHT (reference voltage) and BLK (return line with fuel level data). They go to the body control module (PZM, or platform zone module, a traditional name within GM) terminals A1 and D8 on connector C1. These two wires go through connector C415, which is under the car on the rear suspension support, and you should be able to get at it without dropping the tank. This is probably accurate for your 1993 Eldorado. You can disconnect C415 and check for a short on the fuel tank side. Do NOT use a meter on the wiring harness side as this can damage the PZM. If it isn't shorted (less than, say, 10 Ohms resistance) then there is likely something bent in the modular fuel sender assembly.

If you do end up dropping the tank, be sure and get a good manual that tells you where the touchy spots are and also lists the gaskets and such that you will need to get it back together so that you can have everything on hand when you start the job.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks, will get on it, my chilton nor my online manual cover this topic very well.

Hello pulled codes t073 s044 s060 s061 p052 a048 t073 found p052, the others ??? most were history

Thanks

nothing on fuel gauge or wippers, also showed PCM ? DO I HIT YES OR KNOW

be safe

Archived