CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

05 CTS unexpectedly revs in park

Hi, this is my first post.

I just bought an 05 CTS 3.6L 2 months ago, and everything was great until recently. First it started to run rough after a cold start for a minute or two, but then was smooth again. This went on for 2 weeks, then i could no longer start the car. I had it towed, and the local shop did a tuneup - new plugs, new fuel filter, injection cleaning. Back to normal, except when i got to work 2 days ago, i put the car in park, and the engine started to rev on its own, slowing increasing from idle to about 2800 rpm, then down to 1200, and back and forth. I tried tapping the accelerator which had the expected result of higher revs. Then it seemed to calm down, and i shut off the vehicle. When i got home, i noticed that the oil change i paid for wasn't performed, so i called up the shop, took it over, and had them actually do the oil change. When i got home, same thing happened, except this time i noticed that when driving the car at low neighborhood speeds wasn't slowing to a stop, but maintaing about 20 mph. When i pulled into the driveway, and shifted to park, same thing with the no throttle engine reving. I also now have a check engine light. Hopefully unrelated, my cd changed jammed, giving me the CD MECH ERROR. I took out the unit to try and manually eject the CDs that are inside. Anyways, i have only one idea at this time on what the issue might be, im thinking o2 senser in the MAF / throttle body. If that is it, could the shop have gotten it dirty while doing the tune? I will try to get the codes tonight. I also read that these cars have a code reader built in, is that true? I cant use the DIC info center since its pulled out of the car, but i could pop it back in temporarily if that would help. Thanks for any comments, suggestions, etc.

The 03 CTS had onboard diagnostics (a code reader built in) but not the 05. The code should tell you the problem. I would guess a throttle body error or MAF error.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Sounds like the symptoms of a vacuum leak. I would raise the hood and listen for a whistle, and wiggle hoses around to see if it has an effect on the idle. If its not noticeable while driving, its probably because the engine is above idle.

Sounds like the symptoms of a vacuum leak. I would raise the hood and listen for a whistle, and wiggle hoses around to see if it has an effect on the idle. If its not noticeable while driving, its probably because the engine is above idle.

Thanks for the replies. I went to get the code ran, it was 2098, lean bank 2. The employee at autozone suggested checking the vacuum / pcv, or 02 sensor. Low and behold, if i would have just popped the hood before i left, the airbox hose was loose. So much for trusting anything that a garage does. They cant even complete a simple oil change. Hopefully there will be no after effects. Now the car is quiet, smooth, and seems to be running well.

Its always nice to hear a happy ending. I wouldn't expect any residual effects. That is the kind of thing that got me working on my own stuff, and the cost of course. If you could only help me with my problem now-my fiancee cant be talked into a cts. I am a total caddy man now, but she thinks they are granny cars. lol

Its always nice to hear a happy ending. I wouldn't expect any residual effects. That is the kind of thing that got me working on my own stuff, and the cost of course. If you could only help me with my problem now-my fiancee cant be talked into a cts. I am a total caddy man now, but she thinks they are granny cars. lol

Maybe this will help:

2008_d3_cadillac_cts_babes.jpg

Ok, image doesn't look like its working:

http://photocarsonline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/2008_d3_cadillac_cts_babes.jpg

Archived