CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shock replacement

Rusty

109,000 miles on the STS, runs great, except :

ELC compressor is running a lot more lately ….. oil leaking around the right rear shock boot .

Prices for OE shocks for the CVRSS suspension will concentrate the mind quickly.

e.g. $ 469 ea. from GmPartsdirect. Other option might be salvage …

What’s the consensus opinion about using other than OE parts ?

I want to try to be thrifty but don’t lose the nice ride. : )

Has anyone had experience with passive shocks from Arnott Industries ?

ELC compressor is running a lot more lately ….. oil leaking around the right rear shock boot .

Prices for OE shocks for the CVRSS suspension will concentrate the mind quickly.

e.g. $ 469 ea. from GmPartsdirect. Other option might be salvage

Decision time for sure. You will have to flip the coin for an eleven year old ride; there is no middle ground between "thrifty" and the "nice ride".

BTW: the nice ride with CVRSS (F45 RPO) includes much more than automatic level control air bladders on the rear suspension.

Monroe offers shocks (and struts) for your F45 suspension. Monroe shock part #s 40029 and 40030 available from Rockauto and others.

Were it my car, salvage parts would not be an option.

Not me. I would trade the car rather than install "passive" shocks/struts on a F45 suspension.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

e.g. $ 469 ea. from GmPartsdirect. Other option might be salvage

Decision time for sure. You will have to flip the coin for an eleven year old ride; there is no middle ground between "thrifty" and the "nice ride".

BTW: the nice ride with CVRSS (F45 RPO) includes much more than automatic level control air bladders on the rear suspension.

Monroe offers shocks (and struts) for your F45 suspension. Monroe shock part #s 40029 and 40030 available from Rockauto and others.

Were it my car, salvage parts would not be an option.

Not me. I would trade the car rather than install "passive" shocks/struts on a F45 suspension.

Thanks for the comments.

Parts search results:

Monroe P/N 40029/40030 were more $ than the OE AC/Delco so I've decided I'll probably use those. I'm not convinced there is "real" aftermarket replacement.

AC /Delco 580-130, 580-131 for $985 del’d. from Auto Parts Tomorrow . Haven’t talked to them before but I will definitely call before I order.

Amazon had the apparent low price of $350 ea. , but 3-5 week delivery. Wonder where they're coming from...

I’m pretty well resigned to cough up the dough if I can be guaranteed the ride won’t be degraded while I still own it. A fellow Caddy owner remarked that if car maintenance costs $3,000 a year – 2 years in a row - time to get rid of the car. I will have easily passed the $3,000 outlay this year. Can only hope next year will be better.

Archived