CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The Saga Updated

phillydude

Went this morning to try the car again before I called the tow truck. Same symptoms. Decided to try and jump start it again, and it finally caught. Drove it home, so at least it's in the driveway.

As I noted, when the car wouldn't start, the battery level read 11.7. WHen I hooked up the jumpers, it went to 12.1. As I was driving it home, it stayed pretty much at 13.8, sometimes fluctuating up or down a tenth.

I also noticed that the little "green eye" on the battery was dark... so now I'm thinking maybe the battery has just gone south and everything else was a coincidence? I'm taking the battery to the auto parts place to get it tested (and probably replaced) later this morning.

For ease of following the thread you should continue within the same thread, starting a new one gets confusing (for me anyway).

Anyway, I have been told that when that green goes away the battery is toast... Replace it and see what happens with all the noises, sometimes the alternator will be louder when the battery draws current, however I doubt that this is the entire noise problem, Mike

Sorry for the thread confusion... I'll stick with this one from now on.

OK, drove the Caddy back to where I left the my wife's car, she drove hers home and I drove mine home. I hadn't shut the car off at all during all this time (it probably idled for an hour altogether, and I drove it about 60 miles total from and to and from the city). Pulled it back into the driveway and shifted to park... and before I could turn the key off, the grinding noise got much louder, and then it just died. Restarted it, and the after it caught, the motor just got slower and then it died again. Tried to restart again, and back to the same symptoms as before, but the battery is now showing 12.5 volts. SO... I'm thinking the alternator is working fine, the battery and battery cable are PROBABLY fine (the little green eye is now lit up again), and the compressor has finally seized up, bringing everything to a grinding halt. I'm going to have my local mechanic put a new belt on (bypassing the ac compressor) and see if that clears anything up.

Managed to jumpstart the car on Sunday (I think it just needs extra juice to overcome the resistance) and drove it a half block to the service station... the belt is now not moving at all (since the AC compressor is frozen), so I had no power steering, which made it a biatch to maneuver. I gave the mechanic the info for the new shorter belt this morning, so hopefully it will be good to go when I get home tonight.

My mechanic swapped out the belt for the shorter one (THANKS to everyone who suggested this option and supplied part #'s, etc) and I'm on the road again.

Good. You can relax untill spring is back. :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived