CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fast Idle update after 3 wks chasing

poopdeville

So here is the update.

I removed the spring, the washers and all and put everything back to where it was designed to be.

I retracted the plunger all the way in via the method described. Then I began to adjust the screw to allow for a 0.30 gap and It ended up all the way into the plunger and I still can't get a 0.30 gap. I can't get ANY gap.

I then removed the "new" ISCM and put the old one back on. The old one actually seems to respond with a "click" as described but still no possibility of any gap as it now sits with the screw all the way in as well.

I have also discovered that the old one is not OEM and has been replaced at some previous time and both the old one and the new one were assembled in Mexico. I guess the previous owner's mechanic purchased his parts from NAPA as well.

I am on my way out now to do the driving diagnostics and hope to be able to report my findings soon.

I remain VERY frustrated. I have the Haynes manual for the car and they describe methods to test the ISCM and I can't get either one (the old one or the new one) to do anything when I follow their instructions. They also mention the Power steering sensor and test procedures... one of the problems they describe is a high idle situation... all these problems are SUPPOSED to register and code and thus activate the service engine light. No light!

The linkage is VERY tight to advance but does not seem to bind in any way. I find it amazing that such a strong spring return system as is present on the base of the throttle linkage is insufficient to drop to idle when all I have to do is gently touch the linkage and it drops down.

Anyhow, enough of my moaning... I will go and do the road test and report back.

Mike P :angry:

I just returned from my road test. Once entered diagnostic mode, the readouts were as follows:

Foot off gas pedal, "off" shows

Foot on gas pedal, "off" goes out and nothing shows

I am guessing this means the ISCM is working properly.

I did notice a slight delay when I took my foot off the pedal... maybe 1/2 second... then it decelerated and the readout came on to show "off".

I only drove around town as I only have one screw holding the ISCM in place and have no hoses etc. connected to the air intake and no filter housing.

I am now headed out to put the whole mess back together as they are calling for rain this afternoon.

Let me know what y'all think.

Thanks, Mike P

I remain VERY frustrated

:unsure: poopdeville,

I feel your pain... The ISC motor was the first thing which moved south just in four days I had bought my car. I played with it quite a bit and could give you some directions, but there should be only one commander on a battlefield and there is nobody around who would know the stuff better than bbobynski. So let him leadyou to victory!

Do not get frustrated, you'll be there.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

:o

I don't know what I did but it has begun to work properly now.

Guru, I did as you (and my Haynes manual suggested) to fully retract the plunger and it didn't move beyond where it was before I did it. I decided to put it all back together and look for some exterior binding source. The cruise link was fine, cable slack and rolling around with the rest of the linkage just peachy.

I screwed the screw in as far as it would go and couldn't set any gap but the idle was way down at about 600 - 650 (I am guessing... maybe 550). I pulled out my can of "DUNK" and all the toothbrushes, pipe cleaners etc. that I could find and went at the TB one more time.

I tied the linkage open with some wire and let it all evaporate out following my cleaning and fired her up about 2 1/2 hours later.

She has run almost flawless since Sunday late afternoon. Still no plunger gap, the OLD ISCM and no springs, washers or mickey mouse additions. No service lights and no codes.

So, go figure... if it is an intermittent problem, she will mess up again but for now it is good to have her back and behaving the way the General built her to. If it was the TB, then I have the solution next time as well.

Thanks Guru, addilack and all those others on this fine forum for taking the time to spend the effort on a stranger (in a strange land... Canada) attempt to bring his baby back in line.

This weekend I am attacking the replacement of the front rotors (warped due to the other problem), pads and possibly my leaking cat converter... both are simple and it really depends on the weather... it is starting to get a wee bit chilly up here now...

Then there's the new tires I need... and some 71" outsider-style lake pipes... but the real ones that work (like the '60s vettes), not the show pipes...maybe in the spring...

Thanks again all... MP

Glad you fixed your car! Watch the TB closely. It should really shine. Forget ISC motor, gups, learning etc. It works. PERIOD. Pay attention to the condition of the caliper bolts/pins and the related bushings in the bracket while working on brakes.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived