CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

88 Seville, vehicle speed sensor

pabuckrub

Since I got the car, the speedometer along with certain functions like oil life and MPG on the display in the center console never worked.

I checked the codes and I got a code for the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). I checked this item out on the car and noticed that it was unplugged so I plugged it in and took it for a test drive. The speedometer jumped all over the place and then went to 85 and started flashing, then the car shut off.

OK, so I ordered a new VSS and put it on and the same thing happened. That tells me that it's not the VSS. It must be whatever the VSS is connected to and here's my question... What is the VSS connected to?

I was surfing e-bay and found a remanufactured ECM for my car at a great price so I bought it thinking that this is what the problem is. Now that I think about it, I am not sure.

What is the VSS connected to?

Where is the ECM located?

Any other thoughts on this situation, I would definately appreciate it.

There are no other problems with the car except what I mentioned. I have been driving it and sometimes it shifts a little funny but other than that everything seems to be working with the exception of the speedometer and odometer and other things that I mentioned.

I hope I got the right part. Replacing these parts is getting a little expensive. :ph34r:

Where is the ECM located?
Under the glove box in my car. I think yours is in the same location since the body type is the same. It is a radio size box (a little bit smaller) with connectors.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I just replaced the ECM and the car still does the same thing when I plug in the VSS. I noticed something else when I had the dash apart... the BCM has a tag on it that says it's from an 86 Rivera. So, someone that had the car before me replaced the original. Now, the question is... does the BCM have anything to do with the VSS? When I checked the BCM inputs on the DIC it has one on there for speed, so I wonder if this is what is throwing it off???

The VSS is obviously putting out a signal but there are two different speed sensors listed for an 88 Seville. What if the BCM that is in this car doesn't recognize the data or signal from the VSS that is in my caddy? Can anything be changed on these or do you need the a specific BCM for my car?

I did find a shop manual on e-bay but I didn't get it yet.

Please advise.

I'll have to give that a try since it's easy access. I'm still not sure about the BCM since it is just setting in there with an 86 Rivera tag on it (not even mounted). I think I am going to look for one at the junkyard out of an 88 seville with the same VSS that is in mine.

Any other suggestions, don't hesitate to post em. I need all the help I can get with this one since I'm $180 into it already from replacing the ECM and VSS.

BTW unpluging BCM might disable DIC and probably the instrument pannel, so that it might be not a goof idea at all. I would return VSS and buy a used BCM instead.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I'll have to wait until the factory service manual gets here to really dig into it. Hopefully it will have schematics so that I can see where the wires from the VSS actually go. The only thing that looks like it might be a problem is that BCM just for the fact that it says 86 Rivera on it and it isn't mounted correctly (just thrown in there). This leads me to believe that whoever replaced it probably didn't take the time to change out the memory, if it even has any memory chip in it now (didn't check that yet).

Thanks for all the input and I'll keep you all posted on how this unfolds.

Archived