CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1982 Eldorado Biarritz Bumper Removal Instructions

etsherman

I have a 82 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz with the bumper filler problem and they need to be replaced. After looking at the project closely ... seems like I will have to remove the bumpers in order to get access to all the filler pieces in order to remove and replace them.

Does anyone have any instructions on how to remove/install the bumpers (front and back).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

ET Sherman

Couldnt be simpler. Usually its just 4 bolts on each side from the frame or subframe to the bumper shocks or mounts. My 83 deville I didnt need to remove the bumpers, just had to remove about everything else besides them. The old cars there isnt really any tricks to taking that stuff off, just look for bolts and remove them. Take the taillights and other panels off to reveal more bolts etc.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Couldnt be simpler. Usually its just 4 bolts on each side from the frame or subframe to the bumper shocks or mounts. My 83 deville I didnt need to remove the bumpers, just had to remove about everything else besides them. The old cars there isnt really any tricks to taking that stuff off, just look for bolts and remove them. Take the taillights and other panels off to reveal more bolts etc.

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. So, you are saying where the bumper is attached to the bumper shocks on each side is all that needs to be unbolted in order to release it???

I've looked at my fillers real closely and there's the small corner pieces underneath each tail light on the rear and under each qtr panel on the front that seems impossible to remover/install without removing the bumper. I ran into a couple of other post on various sites of people who have run into the same problem/question with the Eldorado corner fillers. I will attach a couple of photos.

post-18993-131068502408_thumb.jpg

post-18993-131068504526_thumb.jpg

Yea those look like normal chrome metal bumpers, nothing attached to them, just the nuts holding them onto the bumper shocks. I would bet those fillers can be removed without the bumpers being taken off but I would bet it would be ALOT easier if you just removed the bumper!!

Youre going to love seeing it with new fillers!

Yea those look like normal chrome metal bumpers, nothing attached to them, just the nuts holding them onto the bumper shocks. I would bet those fillers can be removed without the bumpers being taken off but I would bet it would be ALOT easier if you just removed the bumper!!

Ok thanks. Any recommendations on where to purchase some good fillers??? I looking for a good fit since I have to go through the trouble of removing the bumper.

ET Sherman

Yeh: www.usapartssupply.com, they have everything. While you have your bumpers off get in behind them with a wire brush and clean them up good then spray rust coating on them. Will keep your bumpers from rusting through down the road.

Ok thanks. Any recommendations on where to purchase some good fillers??? I looking for a good fit since I have to go through the trouble of removing the bumper.

ET Sherman

Ive heard bad fitment problems with fiberglass parts. Plus theres more prep time in them. The plastic ones will fit but like in my case I had to drill out a couple of the holes in them to line them up more properly. And they would be fine to paint but if you are super picky you may need to sand down small dots of plastic or fill in slight imperfections, depending on how nice the car around them is. But either way there is no perfect ready to bolt on perfect fit perfect surface filler that you can buy. I went with the plastic and Im happy. They are supposed to last longer than fiberglass too so I guess thats good.

Archived