CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'98 STS

Today I was out doing some washing etc, when all of a sudden, I hear my blower come on!

Ok, WTF?! Key was in my pocket... so for the hell of it, I hit 'lock'. Fan goes off!

I swear it did this once before, but I have no idea how long it was on, as it was on when I walked up to the car.

Any ideas?

{oops! thought I hadn't notify if reply turned on and missed this}

Anyhow - the HVAC blower fan.

It's not tied into the fan controller when the key is off is it?!

I was thinking that maybe it was designed to kick in when the temperature exceeded a value, but that wouldn't make sense, as people in Texas who park their car for a week would come back to a dead battery. :)

Did you just turn off the car in the last hour? If so, you probably have after blow enabled. It periodically turns on the fan for about 45 seconds several times during the first hour after shutdown to evacuate moisture from the evaporator to prevent mildew growth.

Oh! Wow... yet another feature I didn't know was even there! Heh.

It did it again today, but I really wasn't paying attention to when I'd turned the key off last (was doing some maintenance stuff). This time I just let it go, and it DID turn itself off. I'd say it ran for a good few minutes though. Way more than 45 sec's.

Is that done through feature programming? I don't remember seeing it.

Thanks though - at least I'm not going insane! (ok - not from THIS anyhow!)

After blow could be enabled on the OBDI systems via the onboard diagnostics (not feature programming), but I believe only a dealer can do it on the OBDII systems with a Tech II scanner. At least the '03 FSM does not give a procedure for it other than the Tech II.

I was off on the 45 seconds. You got my curiosity up and had to check my memory. Here is the straight scoop on after blow.

The blower will run for 4 minutes when the following conditions are met (if enabled).

1. Ambient temperature is at least 70F.

2. A/C has been run for at least 3 minutes.

3. The engine has been off for at least :45 minutes.

4. Battery voltage is at least 12v.

Awesome! Thanks!

I didn't want to disable it or anything (and although it's on my list - I haven't picked up a TechII yet).

I mostly wanted to know that I didn't have a buggy module somewhere that was loosing it's mind, or a randomly applying/stuck relay somewhere (etc etc etc).

Awesome! Thanks!

I didn't want to disable it or anything (and although it's on my list - I haven't picked up a TechII yet).

I mostly wanted to know that I didn't have a buggy module somewhere that was loosing it's mind, or a randomly applying/stuck relay somewhere (etc etc etc).

Neither have I, and for the $3000+ price tag I doubt I ever will.

I probably will pick one up - but it'll be one of the numerous clone ones (~$1200).

I seem to be working on more and more post '93/OBD-I cars, and my PC based OBD-II scanners just don't cut it for support of extended codes (they're fine if you want to do a simple voltage off an O2, or clear a code). I'll see if I can slip it by work next year when my tool allowance resets. :D

Archived