CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 seville sts rhd in u.k. misbehaving on warm-up

I have this wonderfull "beast" which has behaved perfectly for many years now ( apart from a boot, sorry trunk leak now sorted thanks to your help ) but has developed this unfortunate habbit of cutting out whilst driving during the warm up period.

The engine fires up from cold fine and car drives away without any missfire whatsoever untill after a few miles when the temperature guage shows we are nearly up to optimum working temperature and the engine dies no matter what the throttle openning is. After sitting on the side of the road with the engine fuel/air intake warning light on for half a minute or so the engine will restart if cranked with the throttle fully open and after some backfiring will then run happily all day long unless parked and allowed to cool down again and then the same fault will occur.

Now if the engine is started from cold and allowed to idle up to working temperature it will drive away quite happily and not cut out.

I have looked at the computer fault codes which reveal no specific area of trouble and when reset the warning light goes out -- until the next time you try to drive away and the fault occurs again.

Anybody out there know an answer please ?

U.K.Tot

Dear Jim, thanks for your help,the downloaded codes are as follows -

ABS-no codes, AMP-no codes, DDM-no codes, DIM- no codes, IPC-U1016 history(battery/independently minded alarm ?), IPM-no codes,

IRC-U1016 history as IPC ? MSM-no codes, PCM-P0102 history MAF problem ? P0335 current-crank sensor, P0336 current-crank sensor,

P0386 history-crank sensor, P1106 history-MAP sensor, P1189 history-oil pressure switch, P1372 current-crank sensor, P1599

history-don't know, U1056 history-battery etc, RFA-no codes, RIM-U1255 history-loss of module connection?, RSS-no codes, SDM-no

codes, TTM-B1983 history battery again, U1016 battery again, VTD-no codes.

Well that's about it, alarm seems to go off when car is feeling lonely and unused, or left in sun and then cool night when pressure

alters or battery looses charge if car not used for a bit. The crank sensors? well could be the connection sockets got some water in

them when touring Scotland 2 weeks ago, as it was as ever very wet and we went through some quite large puddles, but thought that

would have dried out by now. The MAP and MAF problems? the only thing I have had done was a change of filters and oil before we went away.

I checked out the dipstick security and that the air filter was fitted the right way round as I am no longer able to do the jobs anymore

myself and all seemed OK.

So any suggestions would be much appreciated as I no longer have access to a workshop or test equipment.

Kind Regards

U.K. Tot

Dear Jim, thanks for your help,the downloaded codes are as follows -

ABS-no codes, AMP-no codes, DDM-no codes, DIM- no codes, IPM-no codes, MSM-no codes,

U1016 history(battery/independently minded alarm ?),

U1016 history as IPC ?

U1056 history-battery

U1255 history-loss of module connection?

P0102 history MAF problem ?

P0335 current-crank sensor,

P0336 current-crank sensor,

P0386 history-crank sensor,

P1106 history-MAP sensor,

P1189 history-oil pressure switch,

P1372 current-crank sensor,

P1599 history-don't know,

B1983 history battery again,

Well that's about it, alarm seems to go off when car is feeling lonely and unused, or left in sun and then cool night when pressure alters or battery looses charge if car not used for a bit.

The crank sensors? well could be the connection sockets got some water in them when touring Scotland 2 weeks ago, as it was as ever very wet and we went through some quite large puddles, but thought that

would have dried out by now.

The MAP and MAF problems? the only thing I have had done was a change of filters and oil before we went away.

I checked out the dipstick security and that the air filter was fitted the right way round as I am no longer able to do the jobs anymore myself and all seemed OK.

So any suggestions would be much appreciated as I no longer have access to a workshop or test equipment.

Kind Regards

U.K. Tot

I reformatted it to make it easier for me to read...

U1016 - Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM

U1056 - Loss of Communications with RSS

U1255 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction

B1983 - Device Power Circuit Low

The 4 codes above may have been caused by a low battery.

P0102 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Circuit Low Frequency

I don't know what could cause this.

P0335 - CKP Sensor A Circuit Performance

P0336 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor A Performance

P0386 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor B Performance

P1372 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor A-B Correlation

P1599 - Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected

All 5 of the above codes point to needing to replace both of the crankshaft sensors.

P1106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage

P1189 - Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit

Was the car jump started?

Posted Image

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your reply and thoughts regarding the "beast", I have never jump started the engine, but have had battery problems in the

past and replaced the battery about two years ago so that may refer to that as I have never cleared the DTC memory.

What I can't quite get my head round is the need to replace the crank sensors when the condition only occurs when (according to the

temperature gauge) the engine is just about to reach normal running temperature from cold. If the car is allowed to stand and cool but not

become completely cold there is no problem, nor is there if the car is started from cold and left to idle to reach normal operating

temperature.

Is this a common fault as I would have thought that if the sensors were faulty they would have been problematic at other times as well,

which is not the case ---- hmmm is there a way to test them whilst on the car as bet your bottom dollar if you take them off they will

test o.k.

Or is it a case of buying new ones, fitting them and hoping the problem goes away, oh Lord I hope not!

Thanks again

U.K. Tot

Since you have never cleared the codes...

It would probably be in your (and our) best interests to clear "ALL" of the codes...and then we will see what comes back.

Clearing them will eliminate all of the old codes that are no longer applicable.

I do know that Cadillac had a bunch of bad crank sensors around the time of the Beast...but I don't remember "EXACTLY" which years were problematic...

Posted Image

Archived