CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello

I am hoping someone will save me some diagnostic time. I need to know what lowers the voltage to the headlight low beams to make them daytime running lights.

I installed a HID kit and the lights flicker because the voltage is to low. I want to bypass the resistor or whatever lowers the voltage. There is a separate relay for the DRL. I took the 10 amp DRL fuse out for now.

My Caddy is a 1999 Deville base model

Take care and stay safe

Thank you

Big mike

Hello

I am hoping someone will save me some diagnostic time. I need to know what lowers the voltage to the headlight low beams to make them daytime running lights.

I installed a HID kit and the lights flicker because the voltage is to low. I want to bypass the resistor or whatever lowers the voltage. There is a separate relay for the DRL. I took the 10 amp DRL fuse out for now.

My Caddy is a 1999 Deville base model

According to my wiring diagrams for your year model, DRL voltage is accomplished by a physically large ceramic resistor mounted on a metal (heat sink) surface. My experience with other Cadillacs tells me the resistor will be located somewhere forward of the A/C condenser/radiator for ram air cooling purposes.

What is not clear to me is: do you want to completely disable DRL? Or do you want to use your HID low beams as DRL? I advise against using HID low beams as DRL.

But then I also advise against installing HID light sources in "reflector" type headlamp assemblies.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

ok on the 99 there is 4 bulbs. Correct?

You installed HIDs for all 4? The DRLs run off the high beam bulbs and at night or in the dark the lows come on at standard brightness. Does this help.

If you block the twilight sensor in the dash it will trick the DRLs to go off and low beams come on. But the twilight sensor controls more than just the headlamps. it also controlls the automatic HVAC.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 2 months later...

Archived