CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Flickering lights

maydog

When it rains it pours...

Not more than a month after I replaced my alternator, a week after I replaced a faulty coilpack - I have a new problem, I have a bad flicker in my lighst (interior and exterior) at idle it isn't noticeable under acceleration, higher revs it is worse.

I checked all of my connections, they are tight. My battery seems to hold a good charge - its pretty new and my alternator is about 1 month old. I suspect the alternator, but I really dont want to replace it again, this is the 3rd this year. Anything else it could be?

I had the same problem with an aftermarket alternator I bought at PepBoys. The problem ended up being the alternator. To my recollection, the trouble code stated that there was a short at the “L” terminal circuit. Sometimes the flickering would go away and would not return for a while. It also developed a problem where it would not produce enough volts so I was regularly getting the BATTERY NO CHARGE trouble code. I also ended returning three alternators. I stuck with PepBoys only because the alternator has a lifetime guarantee. The one I have now is still working after a couple of months. It’s supposed to be brand new.

Alternator & Regulator – Self-Diagnosis link:

http://www.racingstrong.com/toystar/refere...alternator1.pdf

I forgot to mention the strangest part of the flicker, its a slow steady dim-bright transition about 1-2 times a second. Engine RPM does not change the rate much, if at all. The rpm does affect the intensity of the flash however.

strange

I had the same problem. Initially, it was only flickering of the lights. Then the battery started losing charge. I had the Delco battery replaced with Exide Nascar battery at NTB. This fixed both problems. No more flickering, not even when I use my audio system with 500 W amplifier and subwoofer.

Take a look at your volts and see if they are ranging. My 91 did this and the alternator was bad. What is the brand of the alternator? It sounds like you may have a bad brush or regulator. Check your battery connections for corrosion, take them off to check. Mike

I performed all sorts of checks to be sure there is no problems in the wiring to the lights and interior. My battery is good, it holds at 12.6 when left unloaded - the car starts fine.

The problem has been intermittent, it is obviously worse after the engine compartement has had time to heat up. Higher revs seem to aggrivate the problem. I was worried that the tester would not detect the problem.

I was right ... It took 2 hours to yank the alt after gwtting home from work. Within 3 I was at napa having it tested. Unfortunately, it was pretty cool by the time I got it there. The man was not too helpful and said that I couldn't get warranty credit and that i should reinstall the alternator and take it to a shop for more tests - way to stand behind your product.

i went to a nearby checker for a second opinion. This guy was much more helpful. The alternator passed there too. He did mention that the bearings felt bad when he first grabbed the alt. I though they felt bad too, but had nothing to compare against. He pulled out a new unit and the it spun with less squeak and less play in the shaft.

I you spin the alternator freely, you can hear/feel a clunk/bump every 180 degrees. I believe that the shaft is bouncing a bit and losing contact with the brushes. Heat probably aggravates the condition.

I am going to call some other NAPA stores in the area tomorrow to see if someone will exchange this unit for me, I do not want to put it back and drive the car until it breaks and I get stranded. It seems that there is a quality issue with this unit that the folks at NAPA would be interested in analyzing to improve their product, right?

What other recourse do I have?

I don't like the sound of that alternator at all! It sounds like your slip rings may have cracked and your brushes are riding over the crack. Some rebuilders don't replace the slip rings from what I am told to save money. A bearing while it would make noise would not necessarily affect the alternators ability to charge, unless the rear bearing is so bad that its allowing the brushes to loose contact, which is unlikely. You could take it apart and look it over, but if something is broken, you may have difficulty putting it back together and really void your warranty. I don't see why they won't take it back, its obviously got a problem. Good Luck

How long the brushes usually last? (in kmiles I guess). Does it make sense to replace them as preventive maintenance? Just curious :huh:

In the old days brushes were replaced on a regular basis as the communicator was segmented and tended to wear the brushes out. The newer slip rings are smooth don't wear out the brushes as quickly, and I personally have found that by the time the brushes are bad the alternator is in need of a major overhaul or replacement.

Just an side thought here by the way, I never jump vehicles with dead batteries, with my car as I personally believe that my alternator's diodes can be damaged by this practice, but that is my opinion.

[quote

Just an side thought here by the way, I never jump vehicles with dead batteries, with my car as I personally believe that my alternator's diodes can be damaged by this practice, but that is my opinion.

That's interesting Mike. Can you elaborate on that as I know nothing about alternators other than how to replace them? I never knew there could be a potetial problem jumping dead batteries

This may just be one of my Mister Safety old wives tale beliefs, but I believe that jumping a car with a dead battery puts too much of a load on the alternator and its diodes and circuitry. Add to that the possibility of the jumper cables shorting out by touching together or being accidently reversed on the dead car and you can do damage. Its a practice that I have kept for a long time for my alternators safety.. Others may disagree with me however, but that's my practice

I hear ya Mike, better safe than sorry. You would jump your wife's car though wouldn't you? 
shame on you epricedright! :angry: what an example you give our young just engaged/married members? :lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I know what I'm getting you for x-mas now Mike...a real nice set of 6 guage jumper cables. I'm sending those $299.00 noise cancelling Bose headphones you wanted back... :lol::lol:

BTW, I need your address. Send it to me in a PM.

I know what I'm getting you for x-mas now Mike...a real nice set of 6 guage jumper cables.  I'm sending those $299.00 noise cancelling Bose headphones you wanted back... :lol:  :lol:

BTW, I need your address.  Send it to me in a PM.

Terrific I can use my wife's Monte Carlo for emergency calls!

Here is a true story. We are going out tomorrow to my wife's relative for Halloween, and won't be back until 7 or so.... I said to my wife, lets take my car tomorrow (the Deville). What I did not say was, and lets leave your car home (Monte Carlo) in the driveway because we won't be home to give out CANDY and I don't want my car egged or full of shaving cream!!! :lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: That's too funny! Do what we do and leave some candy in a bowl. Put a sign on it to say Limit One and Yes, Were Watching! Leave a light on inside too. Good way to test the moral fibers of the children in your neighborhood. Were never home on Halloween night as were always trick-or-treating with the kids ourselves.

.. Anyway back on topic,

I went back to Nappy today hoping I could talk with someone else. The same guy was there, but he had seen me come in so I went over to talk with him. I was expecting the run around, but I got in the first word.

I said, " I took the alternator to a shop, they told me the bearings are shot." He said ok, spun the alternator a few times, went in the back and gave me a new one, no questions asked. I guess he had a change of heart, I was happy and took the new unit home.

The alternator I got was a slightly different design. There was an extra bolt hole in the back and the front was kind of open behing the pulley and fan. Anyway it looked a bit more heavy duty.

I installed it in record time with no hitches and now everything works fine. Thanks for all of your input.

:lol::lol::lol: That's too funny! Do what we do and leave some candy in a bowl. Put a sign on it to say Limit One and Yes, Were Watching! Leave a light on inside too. Good way to test the moral fibers of the children in your neighborhood. Were never home on Halloween night as were always trick-or-treating with the kids ourselves.

This is NEW YAWK..... not Indiana....! :lol::lol: That candy would not last long here I tried that one year with a sign, that GOBLINS would get them if they took more than one, and my car was covered with shaving cream and the bowl "witch" was huge was empty :rolleyes:

.. Anyway back on topic,

I went back to Nappy today hoping I could talk with someone else. The same guy was there, but he had seen me come in so I went over to talk with him. I was expecting the run around, but I got in the first word.

I said, " I took the alternator to a shop, they told me the bearings are shot." He said ok, spun the alternator a few times, went in the back and gave me a new one, no questions asked. I guess he had a change of heart, I was happy and took the new unit home.

The alternator I got was a slightly different design. There was an extra bolt hole in the back and the front was kind of open behing the pulley and fan. Anyway it looked a bit more heavy duty.

I installed it in record time with no hitches and now everything works fine. Thanks for all of your input.

Terrific! Glad you got it fixed.... maybe you just got a clunker... If you end up with the same problem however, I do recall here that there is a strong recommendation to go with OEM or a GM rebuilt unit, many have had bad experiences with aftermarket rebuilders.

I understand that, I was going to go with oem after the last unit quit. But I was an hour away from my car with the napa part and the nearest Delco unit was another 1.5 hours away from me. I dodn feel like it was worth another 3 hours out of my weekend.

... of course I could be wrong.

Archived