CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

front end shake during braking (02 STS)

I have recently experienced shaking of the front end when braking. Slight pulsation in the brake pedal. At highway speeds there is a very slight lateral movement in the steering wheel. I relaced the front rotors and pads. Still had the problem but not as bad. Took the rotors back and put a new set on. No change.

Took the new rotors in and had them turned. Still no change. No noise from the bearings or CV joints. All boots are good and tie rod ends have no play. I am not a professional mechanic but I have some knowledge and experience wrenching on cars. Everybody I ask tells me it is the rotors, but I can't see putting a third set on. I would greatly appreciate any assistance on fixing this problem.

I have recently experienced shaking of the front end when braking. Slight pulsation in the brake pedal. At highway speeds there is a very slight lateral movement in the steering wheel. I replaced the front rotors and pads. Still had the problem but not as bad. Took the rotors back and put a new set on. No change.

Took the new rotors in and had them turned. Still no change. No noise from the bearings or CV joints. All boots are good and tie rod ends have no play. I am not a professional mechanic but I have some knowledge and experience wrenching on cars. Everybody I ask tells me it is the rotors, but I can't see putting a third set on. I would greatly appreciate any assistance on fixing this problem.

Having just had this same problem with my 2003 SLS, I'm going to suggest that you also check out your rear rotors & pads. The rear rotors looked good form the outside, but the inside was pitted & rough. From the drivers seat It sounded like the problem was coming from the front. I too replaced the front rotors twice. After replacing the rear rotors & pads, the pulsations went away. Your lateral movement may be from a bad tire. I hope that this helps.

Take Care,

Britt

Britt

You could very easily have an accumulation of corrosion / oxidation at the various mounting surfaces. A common issue with FWD vehicles.

The (possible) fix is to pull the wheels and rotors and apply elbow grease and a wire brush to the hub-to-rotor mounting surface, double check the new rotor mounting surfaces (inboard and outboard), and finally the inboard mounting surface of the wheels. Surgically clean is usually good enough.

Labor intensive for certain but you will love the results. And use a torque wrench on the caliper mounting bracket bolts and the wheel lug nuts.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

had similar problem. had much corrosion on inside surface for rear rotors. 6 months later both outer tierods were loose. how both can go from no play to loose together is odd. really bad roads?

had similar problem. had much corrosion on inside surface for rear rotors. 6 months later both outer tierods were loose. how both can go from no play to loose together is odd. really bad roads?

Archived