CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Trouble?

IMCGM

I have a 95 DeVille 4.9 with about 160,000 mi. on it. Yesterday for no apparent reason after driving it all day I went out to leave again and it started but barely and sputtered and died. When giving it gas it died right away, when feathering the pedal it would stay running barely and sputtered and back fired till I stoped feather the pedal then it died right away. I had new plugs wires filters etc. done less then 10,000 mi ago and self diognostic when you turn the key on say "system ok"...Just lookin for ideas and imput....PLEASE!

You need to hook up a fuel pressure gage to the fuel rail and monitor the fuel pressure when the symptoms occur.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Follow Kevins advice. Offhand, it sounds like your fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is going, which can give you those difficult hot start symptoms you described. It's a normal wear and tear item, (especially with higher mileage) not too difficult, or expensive to replace.

One easy way to check this is remove the vacuum line going into the FPR 'can'. If there is fuel present, that's a sure sign it needs to be replaced, and would cuase the symptoms you are having.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I would do what bob D said first. Pull the vacuum hose off and check for gas leakage. If that doesn't pan out, try to rent a fuel pressure guage from an auto parts store and connect to the fuel rail. I know that my car usually runs between 45-55 lbs of pressure. Also check your codes for an answer.

Block off the return fuel line and monitor the fuel pressure. If the pressure builds up, then it is definitely the fuel pressure regulator.

If the pressure does not build up, then I'd suspect the fuel pump.

The fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail and has a vacuum line attached to it. There is also a smaller fuel line (that's the return line.)

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I doubt it but anything is possible... I have never had one of the large diameter filters plug up enough to cause zero fuel pressure.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived