CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi there people, I have a 1995 sedan deville with the 4.9l. I think I have a wheel bearing going on it. it seems to make a howl or humming noise when im driving it. when i go over a dip in the road and the weight comes of the tires it stopps untill the car settles back down on the road. it also stops making it when im going into a tight right hand curve. but it doesnt change when going left. i did jack the car up and the wheel asembly doesnt rock, didnt seem to be over warm. Does this sound to you like a wheel bearing?..and if so, do i need to get a new hub or can i just change the bearings? Iv got help on here before and thought i would look here first for some ideas. thanks.

make sure to look at your CV axle for any tears. There will be grease everywhere if its torn. That can cause clunking also. Otherwise just worn bearings will sound aweful and really bad bearings where they are broke and some are missing will definately be loud and you can shake the wheel. Check the CV axle then if its OK id say its wheel bearing. Like most newer cars you will probably change the whole hub, check with your parts store. If you let it go too much longer you will be doing damage to your brake pads wearing them down prematurely, so check those as well.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

thanks for the reply. Im convinced its a bearing, and ya it is the whole hub asembly. i think they r way over priced so right now the car will sit.

rockauto.com has them for 53$ thats a very good price for a hub assembly. I see oreillys is almost $90. Sure bearings are around 10 bucks but this is a hub assembly you will get lug studs and maybe even abs sensor and wiring.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Definitely sounds like the RF bearing. Sometimes it comes right off. Sometimes you need a puller. Other times even a puller won't work and you need a BFH (mallet or sledge). Run the nut up flush with the stud, have someone hold the flat end of a ball peen hammer on it and whack the ball end hard. That should break the bond if a puller won't.

Archived