CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello Cadillac friends and family. I bought a 2001 Cadillac Deville in June of 2010. Last week I realized my Reverse lighting does not illuminate when I put the car in reverse. I checked the fuse panel under the rear seating and found 10 amp fuse number #20 "REV" was blown. I replaced it and it blows automatically as soon as the ignition key is turned in a forward position to engage dash lights (still unstarted). Has anyone experienced this problem with their cadillac or any other vehicle. Please reply with any similar history or suggestions for trouble shooting or repairs.

Check the BULBS.

The filament can blow and ground it out just as if you had a bad wire.

If the bulbs are OK...then start checking for a bare or chafed wire.

Both bulbs are good. The Reverse Relay appears to be good as well because my passenger mirror still tilts down towards the curb when I put the car in reverse I traced the wiring from the rear light sockets till they disappear through the trunk hinges; I believe in route to the fuse panel. I saw no damage in that small span of wiring. I will take your suggestion and attempt to trace the wiring further in hopes of discovering bare or broken wires and possibly a short.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how much different the earlier models and late models are on this... But it could be your Park/Neutral switch on your gear selector. When I put my car into drive the doors will lock and then they will unlock when I put the car into park. But not always does this work properly. The switch seems to be out of place slightly and I have to sometimes push forward while in the park position to start the car because it thinks it is in reverse when it IS in Park. After pushing hard on the selector it will be good for weeks or even months. But if you shift into reverse there will be no Reverse lights unless you put it into reverse and then push it back to where you almost changeover into Neutral and the reverse lights will come on. Too far ahead and almost into Park and the Reverse lights are off. Figured this out one dark evening when I couldn't find my way while backing down the in-laws' driveway.

I have two of these cars and have friends with some of them too and all the gear selectors on them feel the same. I know that the way my tired Sunday afternoon mind describes this that it sounds as if my gear selector is loose but it is normal and it is just the switch that is problematic.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I know the switch (if you have the same setup) is easy to replace and fairly cheap to purchase.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello Cadillac friends and family. I bought a 2001 Cadillac Deville in June of 2010. Last week I realized my Reverse lighting does not illuminate when I put the car in reverse. I checked the fuse panel under the rear seating and found 10 amp fuse number #20 "REV" was blown. I replaced it and it blows automatically as soon as the ignition key is turned in a forward position to engage dash lights (still unstarted). Has anyone experienced this problem with their cadillac or any other vehicle. Please reply with any similar history or suggestions for trouble shooting or repairs.

I know I'm a little late getting a response in on this, but a very common problem area on the 00-05 DeVilles is actually in the trunk. On the Driver side, pop off the plastic cover on the trunk lid support. Under it you will find a wire loom with all the wires for the lights in the trunk lid and the power trunk release. Where the wires bend at the base of the support I often find 1 or more broken wires. Very easy check, no tools required. If you find a problem, simply get some butt connectors and splice the broken wires together. Also not a bad idea to wrap the effected area thoroughly with electrical tape to help stiffen it up a little. This will change how the wires bend and protect the already damaged area.

Archived