CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Pulley Bearing?

woody

Hello Formum Members,

Well the problems keep coming up. I had noticed a couple of days ago a squeak from what I thought was the seprentine belt. On my way to work the car was ideling really rough at lights like it was going to stall. When I did make it to work and shut the car off there was burning smell and smoke from what I could see comming from the lower pully. Not sure if it's the tension pulley. One of my questions is if it freezes what effect will it have on the car besides it won't run. I called my mechanic but hard pressed to get him in the middle of the week as he only works on them on the weekend. Hope he calls me back. :( I will have to look later and see if I can tell what it is.

Woody

The serpentine belt drives the power steering, the alternator, and the A/C compressor. Steering will be next to impossible. Since a new serpentine belt, genuine AC/Delco, is about $10 to $25, if the pulley isn't frozen you can borrow a 1/2" drive breaker or ratchet for the idler and change it in a few minutes. Otherwise I would park it and get a tow to whoever can fix the pulleys or the A/C compressor bearing.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Jim,

Thanks I don't believe it is the idler. When I just dropped it off at shop it looks like the lower large pulley closest to the ground or the 3" pulley above it might be the problem. Hard to tell. The place was only 5 miles away so I was able to catch all the green lights.

Dave

The pulley lowest to the ground is the damper wheel, I believe. The alternator (the 1997 FSM p. 6-48 picture has a drawing that looks more like a compressor but I believe it has the locations of the compressor and the alternator reversed) isn't much higher but it is to the front of the car. Just above the damper wheel is the idler on the tensioner. The idler on the tensioner is a frequent culprit. It's easily replaced as part of the entire tensioner assembly, which is $45 to $65 at Rock Auto.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Thanks Jim I will find out this weekend. Had to pull the 2010 Camaro out of storage <_< for the wife to drive and of course I get her car :angry:

Thanks Jim I will find out this weekend. Had to pull the 2010 Camaro out of storage <_< for the wife to drive and of course I get her car :angry:

I won't ask what her car is. :mellow:

Serpentine belt pulley arrangement.

th_Serpbelt.jpg

Dear Jim I am about to replace my serpentine belt on my 1999 deville. I see the diagram u posted and I have one from autozone too but I am a little confused? My instructions say to remove the auxillary drive belt (if equipped) first? How do I know if I am equipped? Do they mean the belt on the drivers side? I did have to replace that recently b/c the tensioner berring was gone? My question is the aux belt they refer to the same thing that I had to replace? Does that have to be removed first before I start work on the serpentine belt? I am pretty sure the serpentine belt has a idler pulley on that side so thats my confusion? Am I on the right track? The serpentine belt is way over due for replacement and I am also getting some noise in the area too sort of like a sawing sound? Should I go ahead and replace the tensioner too? I read where u can ck the mark of it or whatever? What do u think? Any help would be great and thanking u in advance. I really enjoy ur posts. Have a great day.

.... I see the diagram u posted and I have one from autozone too but I am a little confused? My instructions say to remove the auxillary drive belt (if equipped) first? How do I know if I am equipped?
Auxiliary drive belt is terminology I am not familiar with. The Northstar powerplant uses two belts; the serpentine belt and the water pump drive belt. Period.
....The serpentine belt is way over due for replacement and I am also getting some noise in the area too sort of like a sawing sound? Should I go ahead and replace the tensioner too?
I would have to hear the noise before answering that one. My policy is diagnosis is much better than throwing new parts at is "just in case".
....I read where u can ck the mark of it or whatever?
The two markers at the tensioner pivot point (where the coil spring is located) is simply a vision indication of how much the belt has stretched since new. It is useful for comparison only if you took a photo of the two marks immediately after installing a new belt.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

.... I see the diagram u posted and I have one from autozone too but I am a little confused? My instructions say to remove the auxillary drive belt (if equipped) first? How do I know if I am equipped?
Auxiliary drive belt is terminology I am not familiar with. The Northstar powerplant uses two belts; the serpentine belt and the water pump drive belt. Period.
....The serpentine belt is way over due for replacement and I am also getting some noise in the area too sort of like a sawing sound? Should I go ahead and replace the tensioner too?
I would have to hear the noise before answering that one. My policy is diagnosis is much better than throwing new parts at is "just in case".
....I read where u can ck the mark of it or whatever?
The two markers at the tensioner pivot point (where the coil spring is located) is simply a vision indication of how much the belt has stretched since new. It is useful for comparison only if you took a photo of the two marks immediately after installing a new belt.

Thank you Jim U are right? I was confused b/c my instructions say to remove the aux belt first and it shows a diagram of said belt which is on the drivers side which I know now is the water pump belt. So when changing a serpentine belt there is no need to remove the water pump belt correct? I am also going to take ur advice and do one thing at a time and just replace the serpentine belt which is due. U are in agreement with that right? Thank u so much for your wise and timely response and I very much enjoy your posts.

Archived