CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CD Changer part # for '96 SLS?

The_Raven

Howyadoin,

My new '96 has a cassette stereo with an "Audio" selector which I assume is for a CD changer. I've seen 12 disc Delco changers on eBay with part # 16199553. It came out of a '99 DeVille. Would this work with a '96?

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

The part number you have provided is the correct one for a CD changer that will be compatible with certain '96+ Cadillac models.

However, not all '96 Eldo/Seville/Deville models had the wiring to the trunk-mounted changer installed, whereas all '97+ vehicles did. The '96 models that were equipped with the "base" audio system (i.e., no audio amplifier) lacked the CD changer wiring. The '96 RPO for this "base" system was probably 'UW6' -- if your vehicle has this RPO, then it probably lacks the CD changer wiring.

Just to be sure, you could still remove the right side "carpet" panel inside the trunk and expose the wiring harness near the power antenna unit; the CD changer wiring branch will be tied back to the main harness, and will be terminated in a flat, black plastic connector with 10 terminal cavities all in a row. However, exposing this area is a lot of work just to have to find out that the wring isn't there.

Alternatively, check your owner's manual for the optional CD changer operating instructions. If the 'AUDIO' button that you describe on the radio control panel is used to "select" the CD changer as the playback source, then the CD wiring should be present. In '96, "base" radios did not have such a control. In '97, all radios received a 'SOURCE' button, which was used to select the playback source, but I can't remember how the controls were labelled in '96, only that it was different between the model years. All of this was discussed last spring on the old discussion board, but none of that information was archived. It was from that discussion that I learned that only SOME '96 models had the CD changer wiring installed, whereas I knew for a fact that ALL '97 models did. Prior to that, I assumed that the "standard" wiring was present in ALL '96+ vehicles.

If your vehicle has the wiring in place in the trunk, then the CD changer that you described will plug right into the wiring and function normally. If you do acquire the changer, try to get the mounting bracket, too, if the seller has not already explained that it is a part of the package. The changer is attached to the bracket, and then this assembly is installed into mounting bosses on the trunk floor through holes cut in the carpet. So, if the changer was removed from another vehicle, it makes sense that it was removed while still attached to its bracket. This bracket is available from GM, and is cheap (approx. $8 - $10), but it makes sense to get it with the changer in place, if possible.

Howyadoin,

Wow... that's even enough detail for me to get a clue! :)

Awesome 1st post RDWRIOR! Thanks a lot...

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Raven,

I have a 12-disc brand new for a '99 Deville w/wiring and bracket if you would like to try before you buy. I did take it out of the box to make sure it works but never installed/used. If you want, let me know, I am in Mass too and we can connect.

I have two...only need one.

green99std

D'Oh!

I must have hallucinated the "Audio" button on my stereo. Too much looking at pictures, I guess. I'll have to either get the upgraded Delco unit and get it installed, if that is even possible, or just go aftermarket.

After seeing the antenna extenders that were needed to get my JVC 12-disc changer to work with my '93, and losing 95% AM and 30% FM reception, I'm in no rush to go back to that.

green99std, thanks for the info! If I decide to go with the upgraded Delco install, I'll be in touch.

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

Archived