CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 Deville electrical

I have a 1997 Deville that had to be towed home yesterday... when I turned the key absolutely nothing happened, but there was a clicking noise directly behind the fuse panel in the engine compartment. It was doing this on it's own, even with the key out of the ignition. Otherwise it appeared completely dead. It would not take a jump start. As soon as it was lowered in the driveway the lights came on and it fired right up. Any help on what this may be?

Thank you in advance.

As vague as this is.... 'loose connection'. Probably a primary ground.

As the car was raised and lowered, it twisted the frame/etc around and reconnected it.

But it'll be a marginal 'fix' and will no doubt come back again.

Behind that little fuse box is a panel that covers up a big fuse box with all the relays. Probably one of those relays was clicking.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Thanks folks.

I've yet to be able to get in there, I'm in a cast and it's freezing cold at the moment.

With it not clicking anymore I'm guessing this is going to be a pain to figure out which relay

is responsible without a schematic.

It's probably not the relays fault - if the whole car lost 'most' of it's power, it would pull in with the little remaining power. This would power something larger (as relays do) which drops the power so low that the relay would drop. Which would give enough power back to pull in the relay which.... well... you get the idea.

I've got a buddy who can run a diagnostic test on it for me. I'm going to do all the routine checks

first when I get the chance. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of it that way. I would be delighted if it

was just a loose ground like you said. I've had the car a long time and hope to keep it

going for years to come, love the car.

Archived