CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

srx transmission noise

I am having a noise problem on my 2010 SRX with the 3.0 6 cylinder engine. When I am in high gear, cruising at any speed, and accelerate from 1400 rpm to 1500 rpm, and then on to 1500+ rpms, I get a noise from sounds like a growl or metal rubbing together. It is very annoying and does that a all speeds, 35,45,55mph. The dealer test drove the car and could not find anything wrong. I had him go with me, and I produced the noise every time I went from 1400 to 1500 rpm. He said the engine was under powered when is accelerated through those rpms. He said there was nothing that could be done.

Pretty bad news for a $40000+ automobile.

Any one else having the same experience?

thanks from a first time poster.

gejmessmer (GEJM)

Did the Dealer rep say they heard the same noise you describe, and that they feel that noise is normal, or did they not hear the same noise?

A 'growl or metal rubbing together' are not the same noise to me, which makes it hard to diagnose.

The power band for the 3L is at higher RPM's, and with the torque converter you almost will never see it accelerate from 1500 rpm anyway. Or did you mean just from low RPM's and not exactly 1400/1500?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply to my problem. I appreciate your willingness to try to understand what appears to be one of those mysterious noise problbems in a car, and in this case a Cadillac.

First of all, the dealer test drove the car without me, and said that they did not hear or percieve any noise or any other fibration type problems. When I took the dealer rep for a ride, on an isolated highway, where I could regulate the speed and rpm, I was alble to produce the noise I was concerned about. The noise, and I am trying to be accurate, sounds like 2 metal parts, vibrating, come to think of it almost like a loose tailpipe. The noise occured when I was crusiing at about 30 to 40 MPH, and when I went from about 1300 rpm to over 1600 rpm. I called it a growl, but without being there it someone may have heard it differently. As I accelerated through 1300 through 1600 rpm, the dealer heard the noise and said it was becuase of the low horse power on the engine. I could do this at 35,45, or 55 mph, as long I was in high gear. He said that it was normal and nothing could be done about it.

In my driving, which is mostly in local, slow traffic, aobut 25 - 35 mph, this problem occurs a lot, and considering the "high end", vehicle for me, I would not think that the Caddy would do this. On Thursday, I had the vehicle in for a check up on the tire air pressure componets becuase the left front tire does not give a reading at all, and was told that it needs a new sensor. The new sensor was not available. The dealer suggested that since there was a recall on the car relating to a loose transmisson line/ power steering line that needed to be tied down, that I wait have both done together. I asked if this might relsolve the noise/fibration problem, he said it might. Barry, for most of my life, I have driven used vehicles, and did a lot of shoe string repairs. I would estimate that the noise sounds like an under powered engine straining at the 1500 rpm range, causing a sound that sounds like a loose fender, license plates, or loose tail pipes

Thanks for taking the time to even consider this.

George Messmer

Engines idle at 600-800 rpm. 1500 rpm is VERY low in the rpm range for an engine with a 6500 redline. All SRX's are automatic transmission right? So as soon as you begin to accelerate, the torque converter will rev the engine +1000 rpm, then the transmission will down-shift to a lower gear. I am still stuck on why the SRX is 'pulling' from 1500 rpm. What you are describing sounds like 'old-fashioned' transmission shake in a manual transmission vehicle when the engine is "lugging" at low rpm's.

Do you normally drive with transmission 'sport' mode on, for this car that means with the selector pulled to the right which allows manual gear selection?

If you down-shift to a lower gear prior to accelerating, thus raising the engine rpm, so you also avoid the sound happening?

Bruce

Hi Bruce

I think you are correct about the engine lugging at low rpms. I was hoping for a loose connection or something that could be easily fixed. About the idle, for a while, the idle rpm was 600. After driving around town, I would stop at a light, and the rpm would be 650. At that rpm, the car had a vibration, and the noise was terrible. Not loud, but at a frequency that made you cover your ears or open the windows. Fortunately, the idle has been coming back to 600 rpm. I have also noticed that the car does not shift from 1st gear until I reach about 30 mph. If I take my foot off the gas pedal it will shift. Apparently, I am the only one with this problem.

I haven't used the sports mode. Strictly the D, R, & P. Learned to drive using the clutch, and drove a jeep and 2 1/2 ton truck in the National Guard for 3 years. Loved the jeep. When I leased the car, the salesman pointed out the sports shift, but never demonstrated or let me try it out. One of these days I will give a rip.

I guess I will have to send Cadillac a letter of complaint. If you have any suggestions on what other steps I might take, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this problem.

George Messmer (GEJM)

Have you tried driving other SRXs and see if you hear the same noise? Drop by your dealer sales floor and ask to test drive a new SRX and see.

IF it really is an issue that is a characteristic of a normally operating SRX then that might relieve your concern, (or not).

Bruce

• 4 months later...

I am having a noise problem on my 2010 SRX with the 3.0 6 cylinder engine. When I am in high gear, cruising at any speed, and accelerate from 1400 rpm to 1500 rpm, and then on to 1500+ rpms, I get a noise from sounds like a growl or metal rubbing together. It is very annoying and does that a all speeds, 35,45,55mph. The dealer test drove the car and could not find anything wrong. I had him go with me, and I produced the noise every time I went from 1400 to 1500 rpm. He said the engine was under powered when is accelerated through those rpms. He said there was nothing that could be done.

Pretty bad news for a $40000+ automobile.

Any one else having the same experience?

thanks from a first time poster.

gejmessmer (GEJM)

Along with the noise, vehicle has experienced transmission problems like jerkiness or the delay from stopped position.

Archived