CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How to remove/replace rattling CAT

Ed Hall

My car has been rattling like crazy for a while so I decided to jack up the car and pound around with my rubber hammer. Sure enough, the CAT is rattling and hitting it with the hammer recreates the sound.

In the picture, it doesn't appear to be welded in but rather it looks like the pipe that extends from the CAT fits into the exhaust pipe that has been expanded. Can I remove this thing without cutting into anything?

I would like to remove this thing, dump whatever is rattling and put it back on.

Here's a picture to show what it looks like.

PICT0017.jpg

IPB Image

IS IT THE CATS HEAT SHEILD OR THE RESONATORS SHEILD. THOSE CAN COME LOOSE FROM RUST.

I had the same thing on a 91, I SWORE it was SOME heat shield. The cat rusts internally and its like rocks in a can, and it gets loud to the point where you can't hear at a drive up window. When I got it out and shook it the insides were loose. The front pipe connects with two bolts but the rear must be welded. I took it to Midas and had them weld it for $40... If you hit the cat with a rubber mallet you will hear the noise...

Archived