CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Deville Flickering oil pressure Light

I had the same problem in my 97 , I made the mistake of taking it to one of those quick in/out oil change places and after a few days the oil press light started flicking on & off . Then one day I got the real bad DIC message stop engine Oilpress low!! So I checked and the thing is my car had no leaks!! Then somethhing else went on the car The alternator and I didn't have the money to fix it so the car sat for a while. I finally fixed the alternator and started to drive it again and the light started flickering again. Checked the oil and it was full no leaks.Then i drove a short distance maybe a mile or two one day and what looked like smoke started pouring out of the engine compartment Freaked me out . Then the starter went on the car fixed that but have not addressed the other problem yet Oh and my heater fan has now stoped working. Do You think I may have a blown head gasket ? Or maybe even worse ? Car is at 86000 and some change. I had nothing but problems with this north star motor I don't think I would own another one. But back to my question do you think The Head gasket could be done ??

I had the same problem in my 97 , I made the mistake of taking it to one of those quick in/out oil change places and after a few days the oil press light started flicking on & off . Then one day I got the real bad DIC message stop engine Oilpress low!! So I checked and the thing is my car had no leaks!! Then somethhing else went on the car The alternator and I didn't have the money to fix it so the car sat for a while. I finally fixed the alternator and started to drive it again and the light started flickering again. Checked the oil and it was full no leaks.Then i drove a short distance maybe a mile or two one day and what looked like smoke started pouring out of the engine compartment Freaked me out . Then the starter went on the car fixed that but have not addressed the other problem yet Oh and my heater fan has now stoped working. Do You think I may have a blown head gasket ? Or maybe even worse ? Car is at 86000 and some change. I had nothing but problems with this north star motor I don't think I would own another one. But back to my question do you think The Head gasket could be done ??

You seem to be blaming the oil pressure light on this quick in and out place, what viscosity of oil did they use? Is this the first time you changed the oil since you bought it? You dont know if the prior owner has had low oil pressure and used 15W40 to stop it, and when YOU changed your oil at that quick in and out, you used 10W30 and now it flickers.

You stated NOTHING in this post that makes me think you have a head gasket problem or "maybe even worse", whatever that means.

The flickering oil light is not caused by leaks. Does yours still flicker? There are numerous things that cause the oil pressure light to flicker, and they must be eliminated one by one. Do a search for "flickering" and find a ton of info on the flickering oil light

If you are having overheating/head gasket problems either go back to that thread or start one about that, but from what you posted here, its not possible to determine

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived