CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

want more power!

eldoman95

i have a 95 etc. got flowmaster catback (custom), GREEN PERFORMANCE AIR FILTER with a tornado air vortex thing in the hose right in front of the TB. after market trans cooler. synthetic oil and trans fluid. not to mention a rebuilt trans. what do da peeps of caddyinfo rec i do next to make my etc a beast!

ummmm.. port the heads, get custom made headers, change the cams and get an aftermarket engine management computer? (GRIN)

those are on my list, but the cost is so great that they have been put off for quite a while. One of the best things you can do, and should have done when you had the tranny rebuilt, was get a higher stall torque converter, say 2800 rpm or so.. :)

i found a dry nitrous system that will fit my OEM fuel injectors from nitrous express, but i want to do everything possible to my etc befor i shoot nitrous. where can i get a new performance computer?

Nitrous is a good way to lose some power too, when your engine gets completely worn to the bone from its use.

I don't recommend NOS, especially on an expensive NorthStar, maybe on a cheap foreign engine (or a cheap domestic). But, to each their own, I think you should do to your engine what you want, but NOS is very controversial in the Caddy world :-)

i thought twice about nos as well, but its a dry system with HP increments of 50, 75, and 100. if i run it at a 50 HP increase how much harm can it cause? B)

Keep in mind that you're already running over 1 hp / cu. The older engines use cast cranks, whereas the newer ones (2000 and later or 2003 and later or something like that) use forged cranks I think...which would be stronger. If you really want to build it, do it right and go to CHR Fab and do all the internals. I think putting NOS on it is a stop gap solution at best. You may or may not get good reliability. And you may or may not grenade the transmission with that sudden shot of power. See the recent post about a bulletproof 4T80-E to go along with your build up.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

These engines are really strong.. the cast crank can handle an assload of power.. i wouldn't even worry about it. You could probaly drop a 200 shot on it and it would be fine. I'd worry more about the rods. Anyways, a no2 system set up correctly won't pose any more harm than a supercharger would do to your engine.

When I saw the direction that this thread went, I did a little research. While there is a lot of information out there that states that NOS is fine and will not damage your engine, Sallee Chevrolet posted this, it has many of the cautions that the above members highlighted:

Some information on what you need to know before buying or using Nitrous:

Nitrous is not for continuous use and is mostly used in drag racing.

Any use of Nitrous risk sever damage to an engine if not properly built up, plumbed, and tuned for Nitrous use. The whole system needs to be inspected for any problems before each use of Nitrous.

The use of Nitrous will void any GM or Sallee Chevrolet warranties.

A charge of Nitrous Oxide is capable of burning much more fuel than the equivalent amount of air. Because of this, the recommended ratio is 9.5 parts of Nitrous to 1 part of fuel (9.5:1). Without this additional fuel the mixture would become dangerously lean and will almost always lead to severe and expensive damage to your engine. You need to ensure the fuel system can handle both the normal engine requirements as well as the additional demands created by the Nitrous system.

Be realistic when considering the amount of power an engine can handle and make sure you have strong enough engine parts as listed in F below. Also remember that you need to make sure you can’t exceed what your transmission, driveline, and differential, etc. can handle.

Below is a list of things you should make sure are properly installed in or on your engine before attempting to use any nitrous system:

Forged pistons with more piston to cylinder wall clearance.

Piston ring gap has to be increased.

High performance connecting rods.

Billet steel main caps in extreme Nitrous use.

Forged steel crankshaft.

Higher capacity fuel lines, usually half-inch diameter and completely replacing all the old fuel lines.

A reliable high volume fuel pump. A separate fuel pump in extreme high output Nitrous operations.

Fuel regulator.

Fuel Solenoid.

Nitrous Solenoid.

A high quality Fuel pressure gauge.

A high quality Nitrous pressure gauge.

Tuned and calibrated carburetor for Nitrous racing.

High quality performance ignition system.

Nitrous and Fuel pressure gauges.

System to maintain constant temperature of nitrous bottles and thereby maintaining constant bottle pressure.

Reduce Ignition timing during nitrous operation

Two good books that are widely available on Nitrous Racing are Alex Walordy’s N 2 O Power and Nitrous Racing.

Both NOS and NitrousWorks have good literature that you can get from them on Nitrous use.

Scotty, the same info goes for adding a turbo or supercharger. You need a lot more fuel each way and a way to reduce timing, tune, etc. This engine is also pretty strong, if you notice chrfab uses the stock crank (which is cast) for a lot of applications even 600+ HP

I think in either case, the driveline is the main problem. The transmission is good for 300 horsepower, according to GM Powertrain. That probably includes the CV shafts, although I don't know that to be a fact. Sending another 100 horse through there for a WOT upshift is putting a load on it that it wasn't designed for. See previous thread about a bulletproof 4T80-E. You're going to want/need one I think.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived