CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Low Brake Pedal

96DeVille

I just bought my 96 DeVille and it seems like the pedal is low and there is alot of space from when I press on it to when the car actually begins to brake. Is this normal on Caddy's or do the brakes need adjustment? I am thinking that it is just because it is a big heavy car, but I dont know for sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Does the pedal travel decrease and seem to firm up if you pump the pedal while braking? Is so, the system needs to be bled, and then investigated for how air got into it..That could be cuased by low fluid in the master cylinder (first thing to check!) Then discover what caused the fluid level to drop.

Otherwise, very low material on the pads may cause an unusaul low pedal feeling, but that is normally accompianed by wear indicator noise and perhaps computer messages.

How many miles on your car? Sometimes the rear brake pad's condition can be missed for quite a long time..

The brakes are self adjuisting, BTW.

Sounds like it's time to check the fundamentals..First the fluid level in the master cylinder, then pull a front and rear wheel for a pad life check.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I just bought my 96 DeVille and it seems like the pedal is low and there is alot of space from when I press on it to when the car actually begins to brake. Is this normal on Caddy's or do the brakes need adjustment? I am thinking that it is just because it is a big heavy car, but I dont know for sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I have found on a lot of GM FWD cars that the cause of this is the front caliper slide pins. Too often when people do brakes (yes shops are guilty of this too) they dont pull them out and grease the hell out of them, so they seize or hang and the caliper cant go back to it's rest position. When that happens it will usually take about 1/4 of the pedal before the caliper engages and it feels like they need to be bled.

My advice, check the fluid level, then yank the wheels and check to make sure you have some brake pad left, and change if needed but put wheel bearing grease on those pins, if they don't slide fairly easily or get stuck they need to be replaced (about $16 per side at AutoZone/Advance)

It's a small thing that can really make a difference !

O.K. I'm done

P.S. I have had this issue on every GM car I have owned !

1988,1989,1990 Olds 98's

1989 Olds Cutlass (Rear calipers was one of the biggest problems with these cars)

1993 Deville

1995 Bonneville (friends car)

My car has 69k miles and it has no problem stopping it just seems as if the pedal is too low

My Seville did that too when I first bought it, the pedal would travel a great distance before I would actually feel any braking action take place.

Got 4 new brakes installed, problem solved.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived