CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Drove next to a GXP Today...

STS Scott

A Bonneville GXP rolled up next to me at a stoplight today. We were both at the front, so I thought we might have a "Northstar Showdown" for a second, but when I looked at the driver, it was a older aged woman... I'll bet she did not know that she could get rid of those wrinkles in her face, simply by applying lots of pressure to her gas pedal! Regardless, I roled down the window, in an effort to compement her ride, but she did not notice me.

The point is, the exhaust sound on the car was amazing! Not only was it cool to hear a Pontiac with a V8, but it did not sound like any other Northstar. It was a deep throaty rumble, that I am sure would only get better if she was pushing it.

Does anyone know (Bbobinski?)what special tunning went into the exhaust for the Pontiacs?

I was very impressed!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

As I understand it, the 2002 Eldorado Collector Edition or whatever it was had a different tuned exhaust to try to match the '67 Eldo or something like that. I never heard one, but I understand they sound mean. And since the Eldorado didn't jump to the G-chassis in '98 like the Seville did, that system should theoretically work well on an E/K car.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hmmm, I wonder if we could get the mufflers from the GXP for our Northstars??? A nice, "stocker" throaty sound would be a good addition...

It's my understanding that the entire exhaust system on the GXP is tuned to give it, with the N* engine a unique and memorable note. I've heard from more than one source that it really has a killer sound.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

i just put flowmaster 40 series mufflers on my ETC and i sounds like a frigan VETTE! dont know whats on the GXP but when i got my flowmasters put in, all i get are looks from other caddy drivers like, "what the hell do you have in that thing?"!!! there fairly inexpensive too. 90 bucks a pop. so 190 after tax and installs are about 2 hours. usually 60-75 bucks an hour. not to mention its faster!!

i just put flowmaster 40 series mufflers on my ETC and i sounds like a frigan VETTE! dont know whats on the GXP but when i got my flowmasters put in, all i get are looks from other caddy drivers like, "what the hell do you have in that thing?"!!!

I have flowmasters on my Vette and I love the sound, although I'd like to have a little more subtle rumble on the ETC that I use as my daily driver...

My last Eldo was a 94 base coupe and it sounded a lot more, "rumbly" at idle than my 98 ETC... I'd like something of a stock, "tuff" sound if possible...

Jim

I've heard from a lot of people on the site that they really like Dynomax Super Turbos. I included a link for Dynomax Super Turbos on a 1999 Pontiac Firebird Ram Air w/5.7L V8 Eng., 6 SPD., Super Turbo Kit #17327. They sound HOT HOT HOT :D . Those are the ones I will be going with on my 95 Eldo in Stainless Steel as soon as enough cash is put aside for them. Hopefully they sound similar on the Northstar :unsure: .

Dynomax Mufflers Super Turbo Kit #17327

Spence

i just put flowmaster 40 series mufflers on my ETC and i sounds like a frigan VETTE!  dont know whats on the GXP but when i got my flowmasters put in, all i get are looks from other caddy drivers like, "what the hell do you have in that thing?"!!!

I have flowmasters on my Vette and I love the sound, although I'd like to have a little more subtle rumble on the ETC that I use as my daily driver...

My last Eldo was a 94 base coupe and it sounded a lot more, "rumbly" at idle than my 98 ETC... I'd like something of a stock, "tuff" sound if possible...

Jim

understandable try the flowmaster 50 series. check out there site at

FLOWMASTERMUFFLERS.COM

50 SERIES[tm]

Delta Flow®

Performance Street

The Flowmaster 50 Series[tm] Delta Flow® muffler is designed to produce a mellow, deep sound in most vehicle and truck applications. It is milder than the 40 Series[tm] mufflers on the outside of the vehicle, and is significantly quieter inside the vehicle, yet it still has the right performance sound and feel which is achieved with the use of a special Resonant Tuning Chamber within the muffler. Performance is comparable to the 40 Series.[tm]

I think the Dynomax Super Turbo is probably as mellow as you're going to get with a performance muffler. And I bet they outflow Flowmasters too. I'm a fan of Edelbrock and Borla mufflers, though I haven't heard a Northstar yet with either of those brands.

I think the Dynomax Super Turbo is probably as mellow as you're going to get with a performance muffler. And I bet they outflow Flowmasters too. I'm a fan of Edelbrock and Borla mufflers, though I haven't heard a Northstar yet with either of those brands.

Unfortunately Walker (Dynomax) gets no more of my business... I had a set of their Super Turbos on my previous Corvette that rusted out (from the inside) within 3 years... Both mufflers rusted out and broke at the rear hanger mount...

There was absolutely no customer service from Walker and their recommended authorized muffler shop down the street from me told me that Walker's warranty is pretty much worthless as they make it very hard to collect on... I was told that the mufflers had to be cut off the car at their shop, shipped back to Walker for examination, then finally if they decided to cover it under warranty that they would send a new pair out to me for installation... At the time I only had one vehicle so this wasn't an option...

After several attempts to conatct walker via email with pictures of the mufflers and their broken mounts were unsuccessful, I gave up and went back to the stock system before selling the car and buying another... I went with Flowmasters on the next Vette...

Never again for any Walker prodcuts...

Jim

understandable try the flowmaster 50 series. check out there site at

FLOWMASTERMUFFLERS.COM

50 SERIES[tm]

Delta Flow®

Performance Street

The Flowmaster 50 Series[tm] Delta Flow® muffler is designed to produce a mellow, deep sound in most vehicle and truck applications. It is milder than the 40 Series[tm] mufflers on the outside of the vehicle, and is significantly quieter inside the vehicle, yet it still has the right performance sound and feel which is achieved with the use of a special Resonant Tuning Chamber within the muffler. Performance is comparable to the 40 Series.[tm]

Has anyone tried the 50 series Delta Flows yet???

Jim

As with anything, you get what you pay for. Borla and Edelbrock are premier mufflers, and are real performance mufflers instead of noise makers. :) A few hundred bucks for a muffler is expensive, but they're fully stainless steel, and superior to many products out there.

Archived