CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sticky accelerator

Scotty

Quite a while ago I posted a message that my accelerator pedal sticks then lets go suddenly and bbobynksi recommended cleaning the TB bore and plate with top engine cleaning and a tooth brush. Well I finally did it today, its perfect, no more sticking smooth as silk. The bore was dirty. Thanks bboybnski

My throttle sticks also and I would like to repair it, but what is the TB bore and plate.  Where is it and what does it look like?

OK I will have a go at it. Refer to photo below. Do you see the black collar attached to the air filter outlet? Detach the bendable hose from the air filter box and the black collar by loosening the clamps and backing it off, you might find it easier as I did to take off the top of the air filter box with the bent tube attached to it. You can remove the air box by pulling up and get a chance to remove any debris as I did and to make some room. Be careful taking the electrical connector off the air filter box top and from the black collar. If my memory is correct you should now be able to remove the black collar it has three screws attaching it and an o-ring seal (be careful with that o-ring, if is stays in place count your blessings and don't disturb it). With a tooth brush, open the throat manually and clean the bottom of the plate and the bore where the plate meets with GM top engine cleaner (buy at dealer). Do not over saturate the area or pour any into the throat we dont want to hydrolock the engine. Be patience and scrub like hell all inside the throat 360 degrees holding the plate open. Use a lint free cloth to clean out the throat and look to see if there is a carbon ridge where the plate meets the throat, if there is clean it again. I used a mirror to see the top of the throat. Clean it out nice and clean with a Put it all back together, sticking gone! Mike

post-3-1095104750.jpg

Clean it out nice and clean with a  

Clean it out nice and clean with a lint free cloth. Let me repeat, be gentle removing the electrical connectors they get brittle from the heat and sometimes snap. Gently lift the clip with a tiny screw driver, while rocking the plug out, gently lift the clip. One more thing clean the edges of the plate. Report back your results and check your air filter :D

PS, I was unable to get all of the guuk off the rear of the plate but I will clean it more often and will eventually get it all off, the most important place to get clean is where the plate meets the throat when its closed.

Archived