CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"Click" on start

Mantis421

1993 STS.. Took a nice drive last night, not a single issue... Got home today from work and decided to go for another. Put the key in the iginition and "Click" is the only thing I get... Click seemed to come from close to the ignition module (firewall) side. Battery is a month old and reading 12.3 volts. Head lights, dash lights, horn all works perfectly for any period of time.

No messages, no codes... Starter solinoid??? This one has got me baffeled..

Thanks

Similar thing happened to me in my mothers caddy the other day. Went over to her house and got her car so I could take it in for the fuel rail recall. It started fine. I drove it around, then came home. About an hour later I wanted to go wash it. It wouldn't start. Nothing at all, not even a click. The lights, radio, horn etc all worked fine. I tried to jump it. Nothing. Put the big battery charger on it and set it to start.......Nothing! I figured it was a bad battery. I called Sam's where I had purchased the battery and the guy said for me to check the battery terminals for corrosion. They looked fine from the outside, but once I took them off, they were corroded......pretty bad. So, I cleaned them real good and the car started right up and havent had a problem since.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Funny thing, you think you know it all, at that min. you find out you don't... kinda like that is everything :P Battery Cable to the started was being cut by the serptine belt, darn near cut in half... that will do it... Tighten the cables again... Started right up... twice (had to do it agian) :D

Thanks 98 Concours

Here is another hint when you notice intermittant starting problems. After 60K miles, I had the problem of my 94 Deville starting quickly when cold, but after warm up, it would act like a weak battery or dragging starter. I replaced an otherwise good battery, and that not fixing the problem, I dropped the starter to find that a ground strap from one starter terminal to ground was loose. Also be sure to check and clean the cable connections to the battery, chassis and the car frame. One of my negative leads was connected to the front support frame, and the body paint never cleaned where the terminal mated with the metal frame. Only the bolt thread was clean enough to provide any grounding. I have found that battery and starter connections need checking after a couple years just to make sure they are still clean and tight.

Funny thing, you think you know it all, at that min. you find out you don't... kinda like that is everything :P Battery Cable to the started was being cut by the serptine belt, darn near cut in half... that will do it... Tighten the cables again... Started right up... twice (had to do it agian) :D

Thanks 98 Concours

If the battery cable to the starter was cut almost halfway through, I recommend replacing the cable.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived